Can it be?

I don't think it will fit.

I'm not sure what the resistance of the potentiometer is either. I think it would be easier to just clean the original one.:)

Isn't that a measuring tool? I don't think it's a replacement for the steering column one.

Isn't that a measuring tool? I don't think it's a replacement for the steering column one.

Yes, that's what it looks like to me.

Another possible solution that would probably be easier to implement, would be a string pot. A string pot is basically a string, on a spring loaded spool, connected to a multi turn potentiometer. You pull the string out and that moves the pot's wiper, changing the resistance.

You would have to get the resistance correct with that too, and, as with the linear pot, the travel distance would have to be close.

Unfortunatley, string pots are expensive too.:frown:

that is nothing like what is in the steering column it wouldnt work in a million years! there are probably 100 million different versions of potentiometers all different kinds and shapes and that is nothing like what is in the column.

that is nothing like what is in the steering column it wouldnt work in a million years! there are probably 100 million different versions of potentiometers all different kinds and shapes and that is nothing like what is in the column.

Thank you Jamie...And everyone else. It was something I just saw,and figured I'd throw it up and see if it stuck. I still say it would be pretty easy to take one from a dissembled column and take it to a GOOD electronics shop(guitar amp repair or such) and duplicate it.

It's used in conjunction with a data logger to monitor chassis dynamics (movement) under various conditions. You mount it and monitor the movement to see if the chassis part you are checking is doing what you think it should when it should. Racing type item that could be used for street car analysis.

In my experience, the pot in the steering column doesn't fail completely, it just gets dirty. I still have a new pot that I bought several years ago because the column wouldn't telescope. After opening the column up and seeing how much was required to replace the pot, I decided not to bother with it, but I tried moving the slider back and forth several times before I put it all back together, hoping the rapid motion would clean it up. It did. Six years later and it still works perfectly.

If you want to go the extra mile, this stuff is highly rated and supposed to be much better than the stuff sold at Radio Shack:

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G/ref=pd_cp_MI_2

Back