Diesel oil in gas engines.

calisonic

Registered
So my girlfriend drives a Volvo and, being a european car, it burns oil (and the interior also smells like crayons). I was thinking to maybe start topping it off with diesel oil since it probably has a higher flash point and wont burn off as fast, not to mention it tends to be cheaper per gallon.

What do you guys think?

Must be an old volvo!

Diesel oil isn't necessarily much different from regular oil. It's generally just a higher viscosity and a little more of some certain additives. Not sure if any of that'll help - if it's getting into the combustion chamber, it's going to burn!

You can try a higher viscosity, though. That might help.

Must be an old volvo!

Diesel oil isn't necessarily much different from regular oil. It's generally just a higher viscosity and a little more of some certain additives. Not sure if any of that'll help - if it's getting into the combustion chamber, it's going to burn!

You can try a higher viscosity, though. That might help.

Thanks.

It's got around 80 k on it I think.

If it has cats the burning diesel oil additives can damage them from what I read. Not sure how much truth that holds though.

FALSE! Unless you are pushing OIL into the intake for burning, it won't get into the cats.......And if you are, it's past time to repair the problem.

So, if you are considering doing this, you already prob need to do an engine overhaul.

Last edited:
So my girlfriend drives a Volvo and, being a european car, it burns oil (and the interior also smells like crayons). I was thinking to maybe start topping it off with diesel oil since it probably has a higher flash point and wont burn off as fast, not to mention it tends to be cheaper per gallon.

What do you guys think?

I have nothing of substance to add, but I want you to know... that I laughed so hard at "So my girlfriend drives a Volvo and, being a European car, it burns oil (and the interior also smells like crayons)." :D

The used car salesmen panacea

STP.jpg

I have nothing of substance to add, but I want you to know... that I laughed so hard at "So my girlfriend drives a Volvo and, being a European car, it burns oil (and the interior also smells like crayons)." :D

Yeah it's pretty annoying, smells like a damn box of Crayolas, i looked it up and apparently it's not too uncommon. Mostly imports I've read about having the problem. Something with the insulation under the carpets and stuff.

She was using GTX high millage.
I went ahead and put some Shell diesel in it a couple days ago, smells a little different in the exhaust but that's about it. Time will tell on the consumption side.

I actually have a bottle of that stp stuff I picked up on clearance, never wanted to put it in a real engine though, maybe a last ditch effort on a lawn mower or something.

Whats the deal anyway? I've seen volvos with 200k+ on them that don't burn this much.

I don't know squat about Volvos, but if the PCV system is malfunctioning on some vehicles, they can suck excessive amounts of oil from the valve cover(s) through the intake. Some are more prone than others to this malady.

FALSE! Unless you are pushing OIL into the intake for burning, it won't get into the cats.......And if you are, it's past time to repair the problem.

So, if you are considering doing this, you already prob need to do an engine overhaul.

Kind of my point
P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Its a 99 s70 inline 5 non turbo

Last edited:
A friend had both a 99 v70 and a s60. I think they both had this problem, but there was a reason for it. something with the ABS computer, if I recall. (I know. it doesn't make sense to me, either) they both smoked like a son-of-a-gun, and the back bumper was black with soot.. He got one of them fixed, but then the 4-wheel drive went out, and I think it is parked in his driveway to this day. maybe he'll sell parts. the other one blew the transmission not long after, but I think he got rid of that one..

Either way, the question has been sent. I'll bet he has information you can use.

update: in his car, it was the "speed control module." that was acting up. it wasn't burning oil, but rather *not* burning fuel.. and just sending out the tailpipe instead. :)

So perhaps not the answer you are looking for, but possibly related..

I checked AllData for Recalls and Service Bulletins and didn't see anything directly associated to this type of complaint. I did see something in regards to the wrong piston rings, but it appeared they were talking about when the dealer is rebuilding an engine. It would be interesting if you called the dealer with the VIN to see if they completed all the necessary recalls and if they could tell you more about the TSB.

Here is the TSB number....2210050.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Ill have to check that out.

Well I talked to her about it but she apparently has no real interest. She also mentioned that since it burns so much she hasn't changed the oil filter in at least a year and a half ( to which i promptly installed a new one) so I guess she's givin up on this car...

I can understand not changing the oil if its basically being exchanged while you drive it but the filter? Eesh.

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe that's why it's burning oil, all the crap is bypassing right through the 1 1/2 old filter. Lol

Back