Drive low with your computer

RE: Drive low with your computer

I would definitely buy it if he ever sells them. I sent him and email about this website, but never heard from him.

Happy new year everyone,
Grand, I'm sorry about your email, but I never see it.
So, if you want more info about the module,
all I can say, is wait and see.... We are looking for
a production price.
Also, I drive everyday with the module and it work "perfectly"
We are developing a new one, more little, with two knobs.
Anyway, the front sensor work together...

Henri

HEY HENRI! Glad to see you made it to the LOD home. Yes, you sure have a great product; maybe you should provide the link to your website with all the information in it to the guys here. Anyhow, welcome!!

I'm impatiently waiting for your product, really need one of those!

Good work Henri, I'm not sure exactly what this does or how it would be better than using the solenoids (solenoid mod 1.2), but good work nevertheless.

There's a lot of things I learned from modding this car over the years. Practically speaking, you really only need three different ride heights:

1. slammed
2. lowered
3. stock

On occasion, I have used the fully inflated setting to go off-road and to work on the car. I think most people will find that out when they live with a car that has an adjustable supension for while. There's lots of ways to accomplish this, but honestly speaking, nothing I did in the past with the stock components even compares to my current fast bag system.

The most important contributing factor being the hundreds of times I have had to raise the car instantly to avoid large bumps/hills or to avoid the inevitible "butt-clinching" over bumps. If you drive the car slammed, you need a quick way to get the car up - no exceptions. Otherwise, you may as well just keep it at the stock or sensor lowered level. If you slam it when you park, you don't want to have to wait for it to raise. Been there, done that, definitely NOT cool.

A fast acting system gives you the freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want to do it. I slam my car almost everytime I park it. I wouldn't do that with a car running stock components. You're gonna be abusing the stock compressor as well, and you're stuck if your single compressor gives up. The only real thing you have to worry about with a fast bag system is hitting the ground if you drop it too fast!!!

I don't know how many of you guys know this but there's an aftermarket air suspension controller for fast bag systems that uses stock Mark VIII sensors. Get this - it retails for $1500 - http://www.accuaircontrolsystems.com/1024/main.html. It's not that impressive either. Maybe you should modify your project and market it to the hot rod/sport truck community???

Good luck with your project.

Kale

Yes, Welcome. I hope this thing works like a fine Swiss watch. I wear my Swiss Rolex Daytona every day and it's bullit-proof :).

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02/03
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...If you can read this, thank a teacher...If it's in English, thank a veteran....

Thanks all,
in the meantime, I can give you a price for 1 module
approx. 150 Swiss Francs... (120$)
I will advise when we're ready

Henri

So instead of hitting a switch, you are using a slider...And if it works the way he claims, you have the problem of the car going too low at freeway speeds. IMHO, better to turn off the computer automatically when you decide to modify ride height, then be able to turn it back on by pressing a switch (located where you can reach it). On the outside, it sounds like a cool idea, but it's really nothing new.

The computer causes a number of problems and really isn't useful for anything other than load leveling. If you're a die hard lowrider like me, you need much more than just switches or sliders.

I don't want to discourage you guys, I just want to make sure you don't go spending your money on something that you don't need, that doesn't work the way you want it to - just like the guys who came here advertising their shabby spring conversion kits.

Kale

I think this would be a good alternative to the solenoid mod. From his describes, you can tweak your ride height to be just how you want it and retain the load-leveling feature, and if you need the extra height you can do that too. You can also shut it off and go back to completely stock if you're going on a trip or something. I think this setup with the sliders could be superior in some instances, for example if you're cruising and you want to lower it and still drive, without getting out of the car to see how low it is. You could just have a mark at a position for the slider and adjust it to "cruise height" with little or no thought.

I think this would be a good alternative to the solenoid mod. From his describes, you can tweak your ride height to be just how you want it and retain the load-leveling feature, and if you need the extra height you can do that too. You can also shut it off and go back to completely stock if you're going on a trip or something. I think this setup with the sliders could be superior in some instances, for example if you're cruising and you want to lower it and still drive, without getting out of the car to see how low it is. You could just have a mark at a position for the slider and adjust it to "cruise height" with little or no thought.
[/quote]

I agree 100%.

And if it works the way he claims, you have the problem of the car going too low at freeway speeds

Why would that be a problem???

If you looked at his website, you would see this:

Highest:
http://casal.leweb.ch/image/fr-high.jpg

Lowest:
http://casal.leweb.ch/image/fr-low.jpg

I'm not die hard low rider, this was not meant for die hard low riders. But I’d love to be able to adjust the height easily weather I’m on the highway, or just cruising.

However, I do think $120 is a bit too much, especially since it will need some labor from my end.

EDIT: you can place the controls on the sun visor if you want, he only used the golve box because its close to the air ride computer.

Okay, try driving your car around at the level you see it at in the picture and see what happens! Now go on the freeway and let it deflate completely - you're screwed. The one thing you want is ease of operation and a "no hands" effort. Things should happen automatically. You don't want to have to pull a lever here, hit a switch there, get on teh freeway and then have to flip a switch. You want to set it once and forget about it until you want to change it again.

Sleeper does have some good points and I can see that there are some real benefits since it takes a while for the car to raise/lower with the stock stuff, just don't be surprised if doesn't work as good as you expected or when you find out there are major drawbacks. Let's say you want to slam the car via remote, or after it has been sitting for a while? Maybe you want to raise it with the car OFF? For that, you're better off using the solenoids because you're not relying on an active suspension computer. Lots of other issues to consider along those lines. A system that does BOTH, with speed sensing to prevent additional lowering and raising would be ideal for those not wanting to "go all the way".

From the first time I modified a Mark VIII via the ride sensors, five years ago, what I found that I needed to do was create an artificial high or low signal to get the computer to raise or lower the vehicle, then alter the signal the computer reads from then on to prevent it from correcting back to "trim height". I used a couple of C batteries LOL! and it worked when parked but the hard part was figuring out how to keep that signal within range. It looks like this is what he is doing. To me, it was simpler and easier to do via the solenoids. And since even the everyday user will want a slammed stance (as pictured in the photo above), you have the problem of getting the car back up to ride height everytime you do it.

You can listen to someone who has been here for six years and learn from my experience or buy this product and expect "magic".

Kale

No Kale, I didn’t mean to compare it to the KALE MOD 1.2, simply because I got an F in car electricity, and circuits. The only reason this products appeal to people like me is because it’s simple. I look at the diagram of the kale mod, and it’s like looking at X's and Y's in a calculus problem. If it made sense to me, I would have done it light years ago. It’s just that I’m in the circle of people who don’t know how to deal with that stuff, and want the easy, (not necessarily the best) way out. I think part of it is that I don’t understand the solenoid mod completely.

This mod looks good to me. Just have to make sure you don't have it set to low if you are going to hit the magic 65mph number. Why put this down? I mean we as a club NEED people like this here to share thoughts. Maybe the kale mod is better maybe not just have to see what happens when people start using it if it is worth using. I for one would be interested in this set up if it works good and I can be sure that I can use it without having problems when I hit 65mph. Let us know when this is ready to use and when we can buy it. Also welcome to the board and hope to see you around here some more.

Good luck,

John

Truthfully, the whole fast air-suspension fad is played out. When you first install a dump valve, and hear the car drop with that cool whoosh, you're hooked!! Add a remote transimitter, a switch box, bigger tanks, Nitrogen, whatever...and it gets a little cooler. Live with it for a few years and it gets old. It becomes just another mod you've done to your car - like the chip or exhaust package you bought four years ago that was worth 10HP. I used to get excited when I met someone with another fast bagged car/truck. I could care less now (maybe I'm just getting old :( LOL!).

With any of these mods, you're gonna have to get in there and start splicing wires. It's really not that tough. When I first started modding the car, I looked into making a cutom plastic plug that would fit the suspension module, but found out the tooling was $25,000!!!

What I tried to do with the solenoid mod is explain EVERYTHING about how it works, including the drawbacks. Then with the second version address those drawbacks. The current (undocumented) system is the evolution of my initial idea of being able to slam the car and have it automatically come back to ride height. The effects of being able to slam the car snowballed and I learned that to do something like this correctly, I needed to do much more extensive modifications, hence, fast bags. I never wanted to make a dollar off this infomation, in fact, I put it up for free for anyone who wanted it. I didn't call it the Kale Mod either, I called it the solenoid mod. Most of you guys are probably mispronouncing my name anyways (it's kuh-lay' :)).

If you're gonna try to market this to 1000+ people, would you waste your time elaborating on the drawbacks of the system? What NOT to expect? What it DOESN'T do? Probably not, that's why I posted what I thought about this "magic" box. Hopefully, it works as designed and that design corresponds with your expectations. NOTE: Go lower than the sensor lowered position and you better have some flat highways and byways!

Kale

Kale, for sure your system is not comparable to my mod...
Simply, the mod it's just a supplement of the existing
computer from the Mark VIII.
With the mod, you're able to influence the height ride
while cutting 5 wires...

http://casal.leweb.ch/image/conect1.jpg

Some fundamentals electrical knowledge is require.
It take just 1 hour to make it work.
About the "magic" 65 mph number, I've tested it while modifying
the pods position. No problem appeared. The MK-VIII still
working, lowering the car as if nothing had been changed.

Henri

I look at the diagram of the kale mod, and it’s like looking at X's and Y's in a calculus problem. If it made sense to me, I would have done it light years ago. It’s just that I’m in the circle of people who don’t know how to deal with that stuff, and want the easy, (not necessarily the best) way out. I think part of it is that I don’t understand the solenoid mod completely.

I confess.. this is my problem as well. I would love to do the Kale mod but the clean crisp lines on the schematic probably won't translate to crisp clean wires that are just as easy to find.. assuming I understood the schematic. I can read instructions and look at pictures but I haven't ever been exposed to an actual diagram of components so it's greek to me.

Chad
Owner of a 1993 Deep Jewel Green with Mocha interior Mark VIII
IA Parrot, one of the most popular avian resources on the internet
http://aviary.info

Looks cool. One thing I don't understand is why you need separate sliders for both front bags. Wouldn't you always want them to be in "sync"? Also, I'm not too keen on the glove box install, unless you never have anything else in there. It'd be too easy for something to hit the sliders or the switch. I'd prefer the controls in the ashtray slot or somewhere that isn't going to be accidently changed. If nothing else, replace the toggle switch with a rotary one so it's less likely to get flipped.

Back