Anyone getting an MKS?

LLT

Registered
The wife and I just got back from a trip to Michigan and while there, I stopped by a Lincoln dealer and test-drove the new MKS. I must say, I loved it as much as the Mark. Very quiet, smooth and roomy... and the one I drove was fully loaded. The new nav/tech package with Sync was awesome.

I'll probably give it a while as the early-adopter thing never works out well with cars, but I'm curious if anyone else is considering one. Personally, my big hang-up is the resale value of Lincolns, which is horrible. I never keep a car longer than a couple of years (and I've dumped cars 5 months into ownership that have ended up not meeting my OCD standards, so I don't like to commit to leases), so resale is key for me.

Anyway, if you haven't seen one yet, it's definitely worth at least taking for a test drive. Very nice car.

At this point Lincoln doesn't offer anything that is competative to Foreign car brands :(.

I'd stick with a BMW 335i or 328.

At this point Lincoln doesn't offer anything that is competative to Foreign car brands :(.

I'd stick with a BMW 335i or 328.

Curious.... what is that based on? Stats, looks, personal experience? A lot of what can be considered competitive is subjective....I've never been interested in any BMW I've saw.

I haven't driven an MKS but I'll rent one for a weekend here soon. I won't be buying one new anytime soon but maybe in a couple years to take advantage of their "average" deprecation.

I'm not a MS Sync fan but for what it is I'd love to have a MKS if it was a 2 door with a V8! :D

Curious.... what is that based on? Stats, looks, personal experience? A lot of what can be considered competitive is subjective....I've never been interested in any BMW I've saw.

I haven't driven an MKS but I'll rent one for a weekend here soon. I won't be buying one new anytime soon but maybe in a couple years to take advantage of their "average" deprecation.

Lets see...
Resale value...
Perfomance
Wrong Wheel Drive
Inferior interior materials

Should I go on?

The cost of ownership of the lincoln will probably be higher than the BMW simply because of the depreciation alone... no matter if the BMW is 10k more expensive... because 5 years down the line it will still be worth 10k more.

13729-2007-BMW-335i.jpg

This will most likely be my next car. runs 12s... with a chip

I'd compare it more to a Lexus ES than a BMW 3-Series. The BMW is more sport-oriented with a firmer suspension, and yes, RWD. The Lexus, however, is about the same price (a couple thousand less, but expect that to level off after the MKS has been available for a couple years), has a softer ride like most traditional Lincolns, a comparable motor, FWD, and similar features. If you ask me, Lincoln is going for a more traditional luxury car than it is a sports sedan with the MKS.

Ford DID approve a global, RWD platform that could potentially cover a fleet of RWD sedans and possibly a sport coupe or two, no? I'd keep my eye out for what's new at the next international auto show... The Interceptor Concept is breathtaking.

It's more comparable to the 5 series actually, especially in terms of space. Unless you're under 6ft, the 3 is miserable, IMO. Further, I've personally never considered BMW "luxurious" -- handles great, decent performance but it's certainly not plush and their interiors are antiquated. I'd choose a Lexus, MB, or Infiniti long before anything BMW has to offer... but again, I care more about comfort and less about performance.

Compared to other American luxury cars (including anything Lincoln has done recently) - I thought the fit and finish of the MKS was decent. Still hints of cheap plastic, but the BMW is the same. Had a great ride and for its drivetrain, had enough power to suit my needs.

That said, I'll likely end up with a Lexus, MB or Infiniti. Every other Lincoln in recent history has plummeted to embarrassing resale levels, I can't imagine the MKS will be any different.

Yeah, I was thinking 5-series too, but the price difference is pretty big. You also get some extra goodies with it.

Since we're on the topic of comparing the 5-series... Pontiac G8, anyone?

Last edited:
The new V6 Twin Turbo with 350 Hp is going together for it late this fall. I hope to see the first units in late October early November. They will be coming out of Ohio.

It's more comparable to the 5 series actually, especially in terms of space. Unless you're under 6ft, the 3 is miserable, IMO. Further, I've personally never considered BMW "luxurious" -- handles great, decent performance but it's certainly not plush and their interiors are antiquated. I'd choose a Lexus, MB, or Infiniti long before anything BMW has to offer... but again, I care more about comfort and less about performance.

Compared to other American luxury cars (including anything Lincoln has done recently) - I thought the fit and finish of the MKS was decent. Still hints of cheap plastic, but the BMW is the same. Had a great ride and for its drivetrain, had enough power to suit my needs.

That said, I'll likely end up with a Lexus, MB or Infiniti. Every other Lincoln in recent history has plummeted to embarrassing resale levels, I can't imagine the MKS will be any different.

Umm I am really not sure what exactly you're talking about here. The 3 series is the world standard for sport sedans with more units sold than any other brand. 5 series doesn't really offer much more than the 3 with the exception of space...

original.jpg

vs
2009-Lincoln-MKS-09115331990002.jpg

Their interior are not dated IMO, Inferior to Audi... but certainly no worse than the rest.

I am 6'4" and I had no issue fitting into a 3 series so I have no idea where you get that information from either. It is a smaller car compared to a Towncar per say but european offerings have always been more neatly packaged than american counterparts. Frankly the 3 series size is just right.

Back