Upper Ball Joints and suspension links

Hunter

Registered
I am not a first time Lincoln owner, I have owned in the past a "90 Towncar what a ride. We own a 2002 Navigator ( or my wife does ) and have just purchased a '95 Mark VIII with 42,000 miles on it ( mine ).
While moving the car to my work shop, I noticed some popping noise in the front end area. I pulled the wheels to have a look see and saw that the boots on the upper ball joints where all but gone, just shreads. I also noticed that the suspension links were in the same shape. So I replaced all the above, not a cheap or easy task. The thing that bothers me is that all the above had been replaced one other time. I replaced trw parts with trw parts, the orginals were gone. Now with only 42,000 miles and the third set of ball joints what's up??? Is this something that is common with this Beauty or have I got a real problem child here?

RE: Upper Ball Joints and suspension links

That car has been through about 10 winters. Thats 20 season changes. Also remember that those guys are not greaseable. She is about due for quite a bit, depending on conditions and abuse. Could be anything.

If i still had the originals i'd check, but TRW may have made the parts for the production line also. So you may just be on your second set.

Were the ball joints bad, or just the boots? That rubber does tend to deteriorate over the years. My upper ball joints just went bad at about 90k. I'm pretty sure they were original.

If i still had the originals i'd check, but TRW may have made the parts for the production line also. So you may just be on your second set.

Were the ball joints bad, or just the boots? That rubber does tend to deteriorate over the years. My upper ball joints just went bad at about 90k. I'm pretty sure they were original.

I'm sure they had been changed before, the bolt head in the wheel well had been abused on both sides ( it helps if you use the right tools) The ball joints were pretty loose in their sockets, so were the suspension links. It would be nice if they had grease fittings, but I guess they went out with the cat.
I bought the car because of the low mileage and its beauty, I hope it will live up to its name and my budget.

Back