Cooling fan runs all the time

johnc

Registered
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I have a 2007 Lincoln Town Car. What a mile eating machine for long trips! The cooling fan wants to run all of the time. My Wife put it in a ditch in a snow storm. I looked it over and didn't see anything wrong so we kept driving it. I let my Mom and Dad borrow it to go south for a few days. She says she pulled to close to parking chalk and heard something hit. Turns out the brace on the front was hanging down from the ditching incident. This somehow caused the bottom of the radiator to burst sending anti-freeze all over the engine compartment. She had a Ford dealer in Alabama put an original radiator in it. After they started back home to Ohio is when they noticed that the fan never shuts off, even when the ignition is off. I now have to pull the fuse whenever I park the car. I’m mechanically inclined but this one has got me stumped. Please can someone direct me in the right direction? Thanks so much for any help!:banghead::banghead:

Sounds like the fan wiring could have got messed up from the accident. The wiring most likely runs down from the fan, to the bottom of the radiator, and up the side to the fenderwell, and then to the firewall.

Heck...the mechanic could have even accidentely pinched the harness under the new radiator. Best bet is to back track and follow the harness to be positive nothing got damaged.

After you rule out any damage, then we can start checking other things and I'll get some wiring diagrams and stuff for you.

Cooling fan runs all the time

Thanks J, I will check the wireing harness out and get back with a reply. The funny thing is the mechanic at the Ford dealer told my Mom that he doesn't know why the fan runs all the time and sent them on their way! But they still charged them over $800 to tdo the job.

Me thinks I would have another talk with the Service Manager of that dealer! If that doesn't work, with the owner. Then file a complaint with Ford!

With a test light, you can back trace the wires to figure out where you're getting power. It sounds like you might have a bad VCRM (or similar). I agree with what Bud said...if it's not how it was when you dropped it off, something's up and they need to fix it.

Also, before we get too deep, how long did you let the fan run before you actually pulled the fuse? Some cars will have the fan run for up to 5 minutes for extra cooling after shutdown.

Back