Steering Problems

WackyWRZ

Registered
Just got done doing new front struts and new upper arms. Problem is when I turn left semi hard-full lock the car seems to "hop" and pulls on the wheel real hard. When I turn the other way its much less noticable. Is this an alignment problem, lower ball joints, etc??? It really worries me that somethings not put in right.

RE: Steering Problems

could be an aligment problem, but the only way to tell if it's a suspension problem is to get under there and inspect it.

I've got the exact same problem. Mine hops when making a sharp low-speed turn, and actually seems to pull INTO the turn rather than naturally straightening out. Even on fairly gentle turns, it takes too long to return to center. When driving straight, it doesn't pull at all, only when you start into a turn. I DESPERATELY need to get it in somewhere and checked out, but I simply haven't had the time. I had the upper control arms replaced a while back, but it had no effect at all. I'd be interested in hearing what your solution is. The steering on this car is the one thing I can't stand. Eventually, I want to replace my steering rack with one from a 1st gen (fewer turns lock to lock). Mine's like steering an ocean liner.

If your car jumps at very low speed at full lock, that may be normal (depending on the severity).

There is a thing called Ackerman steering. Imagine a car turning in a tight circle. The inside front wheel will be following a tight circle, with the outside wheel following a slightly larger circle. In order for the outside wheel to follow the larger circle, it must turn slightly less than the inside wheel. If it is set up to do this exactly, the car has 100% ackerman steering. However, your turning circle is determined using the average of the steering angle of both front wheels, and the inner wheel is the limiting factor (has to turn more). So most cars will have less than 100% ackerman steering, in order to get a tighter turning radius. At extremely low speeds, this can manifest itself as a binding or a jumping feeling. At higher speeds it is not noticeable. Alignment can not cure this, it is a product of the suspension and steering geometry.

My car had a problem returning to center. I took it in and had all the greasable fittings overgreased, and it improved slightly. When i had the car apart for the headers, though, the steering rack was out of the car for over a month, and the power steering pump completely drained itself. When i filled it back up (of course using good stuff - synpower p/s fluid i believe) it improved the performance dramatically. It now returns to center as it should. In addition, the universal joint i used to replace the factory rag joint greatly improved steering feel. However, a little quicker steering ratio would be nice. If i ever need inner tie-rod ends, i'll probably just buy a gen 1 rack.

Back