brake proportioning valve problem

sleeper

Former LOD President
I had a low/soft brake pedal problem, so i bled my brakes yesterday. Both fronts went fine, but the rears gave me trouble. One was real hard to bleed, like it was clogged, then all of a sudden it started bleeding fine. When i got to the other rear brake, it did the same thing, except it never bled fine.

I started the car, put it in gear on the jackstands, and let the traction control take over. The traction control was able to stop the right wheel, but not the left wheel. so something was wrong.

I tried to bleed it more, still clogged. So i started undoing things and working backward until it bled properly. I located the clog, it's in the proportioning valve. Apparently there is a proportioning valve for each side on our cars, and the one for the drivers side is clogged on my car. Currently, i have no fluid in the line past hte proportioning valve, but you can't tell during normal driving, because the valve is clogged enough that you get pressure at the pedal.

My problem is that the proportioning valve is a dealer item. And i kind of need one now, so that i can get it fixed before carlisle (hitting the road thursday).

Has anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone have an idea how i might be able to fix the valve?

Does anyone happen to have an extra one lying around?

If i have to replace it, i want to buy adjustable proprtioning valves. Any recommendations on brand? $$ is important here.

RE: brake proportioning valve problem

Damn, that sounds like trouble. Did you have any luck ? maybe a temporary fix from a junkyard ? If I weren't taking my car to Carlisle, I'd lend you that valve. How difficult is it to replace ?

To replace it you pull the drivers fender/wheelwell liner, and it comes right off. A 1/2" or 13mm line wrench to undo the brake line, then a 7/8" wrench to remove the proportioning valve for each side. Then you have to bleed the brakes. It's a simple and easy job, but nobody carries the frickin' part. That leaves me tuesday and wednesday to get it. Hopefully either a dealer will have it in stock, or i'll be able to pick up two aftermarket adjustable ones from ramchargers or something.

I saw that. I would need two of them, and it'd have to be next day air and ship tuesday, both of which i doubt will happen. I'm going to look for the wilwood ones at some local performance shops, and hope i get lucky. or maybe the dealer can get me the part in a day, who knows.

Ford Parts Network lists a

Brakes, Hydraulic system, Pressure metering valve, PRESSURE METERING VALVE, Mark VIII .

Give Max a call at 5 Star Ford. I'm sure he could have you one the next day.

i may give that a try tomorrow.

For now, i messed with it some more and got it to the point where i could at least bleed the rear brake. I did that and drove it, it's perfectly driveable. I bet i'm not getting as much pressure as i should to that one rear brake, but it would be pretty hard to tell that from the drivers seat, and i don't have a thermometer that would work to measure a difference in brake temperature.

I'll see if i can get the part by carlisle, but if not, i'll still be able to drive it down there.

Back