lowering compressor

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
I'm playing around sizing up a fenderwell type of cold air intake. Problem is the air filter I have selected is 7" tall and there is only 5" from the underside of the fenderwell to the suspension compressor. I don't want any smaller of an air filter, if anything I would want my 9" tall air filter on there but I can't see that happening. I have yet to pull the wheel and inner fender liner for a close look. All my preliminary work has been from the top.

So, my question is has anyone lowered or relocated the suspension compressor and if just lowered, by how much? Can I get another 2-3 inches more room?

RE: lowering compressor

I lowered my compressor about 2.5" or so to clear the Pro-M MAF and filter. Very easy to do, once you got the bumper off. You have to make two extra brackets and the third one has an extra hole that lines up perfect - about 2" lower. The bumper cover still goes on no problem.

Thanks Jeremi, do you think it's doable without removing the bumper cover?

I had mine off, and I have to tell you that some of the mounting bolts were still difficult to get to. Take the bumper off, it's very easy, only couple bolts and nuts, and a few wheel well screws. I re-run my trans cooler lines at the same time to that they don't go under the car, just right next to the battery, and the in front of the a/c condenser.

You must take the bumper cover off to do it. I lowered mine down and away from the bumper area. Doing this will give you more room for intercooler piping later on. Making that tight turn right there is the most difficult part.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
You must take the bumper cover off to do it. I lowered mine down and away from the bumper area. Doing this will give you more room for intercooler piping later on. Making that tight turn right there is the most difficult part.
[/div]

Heh, Heh, Heh... {Beavis & Butthead impersonation}
...he said intercooler... Cool. :9

that was my first choice, but too much money. Plus the stock hood won't clear it. But nothing better for some low end boost.

oh, and yeah, you do need a supercharger. Trust me LOL.

No, no. I think JP's car is just fine as it is. No reason to mod further (yet). }(

John, what SC is that?

Does anyone know about how much of a clearence issue there is on a gen1?

About same problem as the cobra intake, or much worse?

It looks like the cobra requires approx. 1/2 to 3/4 inches.

How much additional space does this beast require?

I like the idea of an intake specifically designed for the SC, and just a simple swap (heads,internals, and hood clearance notwithstanding).

Thanks,
Jeff

'94 blk/grey VIII

It's the Kenne Bell unit. Suposedly it fits fine under the 2nd gen hood. But for the 1st Gen a cowl or an add-on scoop will be required. It takes up a lot more room than just a simple cobra intake.

Thanks Jeremi,

Besides hood clearance on gen1, is there any paticular reason a '96 cobra 4.6 4v version of this would not work on our car? I can foresee having to redo the throttle cable. What specific difference between our car and cobra must be addressed(besides internals, would do that anyway) ?

Sorry John, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but this Kenne Bell might just be in my future.

BTW they are right, remove the bumper cover; I just replaced my compressor/added spyder valve a month ago. I didn't remove the cover, but wish I did. My car is in bodyshop right now (got tagged in fender by a deer), I'm getting whole car painted(peeling overcoat on roof and c-pillars), they had the cover off last week and the compressor is SOOOO much easier to get to. Probaly freaked the guy out with all those airlines from the compressor/syder valve, lol. You are already about a third of the way toward removing the bumper cover, once you have the inner fender cover loose. The little extra time taking it off is worth it.

ye ait will be a bitch to fit and is a ton of money. YOu gotta move the alternator, coolant tubes, and a whole slew of stuff. There is no way I would choose a KB over a centrifugal SC on these cars. IT is too easy and too cheap to put an S trim of Novi 2K on these cars, and they work perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback Joe. I've been back in a Mustang GT 5.0 while the Mark is in the bodyshop. All that low rpm torque has got me leaning toward the KB, which has gobs of it very early into rpms. If theres anything our engines need, it's low end torgue.

I'm not overly concerned with fitment (not trying to belittle the task, but I'll "gitter done", and do what I need for relocation/rerouting), my concerns are with the electronics compatibility with the 96 cobra (eec,sensors). I would presume the centrifugal SC has the same "issues", if any, in this regard?

Since there are two or more Marks with the KB SC, KB may already have an unofficial, unadvertised calibrated pakage for the Marks (doubtful, but fingers crossed).

I readily admit that the centrifugal SC is an obvious choice for the sake of money/time saved (no contest there). However I think the KB (once installed and working, and NOT taking in consideration higher price and headaches of installation) is the better SC for our engines(centrifugal vs roots vs KB twin screw/w tuned intake). But that's not from first hand experience...yet.

Jeff

'94 Blk/Grey

Back