How to Bleed Brakes

enforcer

Registered
Hello, I have a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC I have just bought. The vehicle only has about 26,000 miles on it, but the brakes are bad alot of rot. I knew the vehicle needed Front & Rear Rotors along with pads. But the problem is that on the way home from purchasing the vehicle the brake line under the car ruptured that comes from the abs box and goes to the right side caliper. Ford wanted $300 for the line but I bent a new line myself. Problem is that I have know idea how to bleed the brakes on a lincoln. I started in the rear and went forward but the pedal still feels spongy. Any help would be great.

RE: How to Bleed Brakes

Bleeding the brakes is easiest with 2 people. 1 to pump and the other to bleed. Start at the rear passenger side. Ensure the master cylinder is filled and have the lid on tight. Have the other person pump about 5-8 times and hold the brake pedal down. While the pedal is down, loosen the bleeder screw, you should see and hear the foamy brake fluid come out. Tighten the bleeder screw and have them pump again. Repeat the process until you get fluid coming out. Check the reservoir a few times to ensure you have enough fluid in the master cylinder. After the rear passenger side, go to the rear drivers side, then the front passenger side, then the front drivers side. It shouldnt take but an hour, unless you already have all the wheels off. Remember, pump 5-8 times, hold down, loosen the bleeder screw, wait for air, tighten and pump 5-8 more times. Good luck!!

Connect the NGS DCL cable adapter into the vehicle data link connector (DLC) under the dash and follow the NGS instructions.
Clean all dirt from and remove the brake master cylinder filler cap. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with the specified brake fluid.

Remove the RH and LH rear wheel and tire assemblies. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
Place a box end wrench on the RH rear bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.

Have an assistant hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.
Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.
Tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.

Repeat steps 4, 5, 6 and 7 for the LH rear bleeder screw.
Place a box end wrench on the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw, and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.

Have an assistant hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
Loosen the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.
Tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw. For additional information, refer to Specifications in this section.

Repeat steps 9, 10, 11 and 12 for the LH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
Install the RH and LH rear wheel and tire assemblies. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
Pressure

Clean all dirt from and remove the brake master cylinder filler cap. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with the specified brake fluid.

NOTE: Master cylinder pressure bleeder adapter tools are available from various manufacturers of pressure bleeding equipment. Follow the instructions of the manufacturer when installing the adapter.

Install the bleeder adapter to the brake master cylinder reservoir, and attach the bleeder tank hose to the fitting on the adapter.
Remove the RH and LH rear wheel and tire assemblies. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
NOTE: Bleed the longest line first. Make sure the bleeder tank contains enough specified brake fluid to complete the bleeding operation.

Place a box end wrench on the RH rear bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear bleeder screw, and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.

Open the valve on the bleeder tank.
Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw. Leave open until clear, bubble-free brake fluid flows, then tighten the RH rear bleeder screw and remove the rubber hose.

Continue bleeding the rear of the system, going in order from the LH rear bleeder screw to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw ending with the LH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
Close the bleeder tank valve. Remove the tank hose from the adapter, and remove the adapter.
Install the RH and LH wheel and tire assemblies. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .

WOW, steve had something positive to share! LOL

Nice instructions Steve. I figured you were the take it in and have the shop do it kinda guy.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
WOW, steve had something positive to share! LOLNice instructions Steve. I figured you were the take it in and have the shop do it kinda guy.
[/div]

I took it to Geno's buddies shop once and Geno attempted to do it. His buddy had to finish the job.

Get yourself some speed bleeders. I put them on my Mark, and love them. They are one person brake bleeder valves. NAPA p/n 675-1570. Thread size M10 x 1.0. You do not have to close the valve between pumps. It is like a one way valve. You open bleeder 1/4 - 1/2 turn, and you pump the brakes until all air is released, then close valve. You get two to a pack. About $12.00 a pack.

I highly recommend the speed bleeders. They really work. One of the best inventions I have seen in quite some time. I can now bleed the brakes faster by myself, than when I had a helper.

Here is a link to the speed bleeder web site: http://www.speedbleeder.com/

When I went to the parts store to pick up my shocks, the guy behind the counter is another Mark VIII owner, and we were comparing stories of our cars. When I mentioned the fact that I need to bleed my brakes he said that a buddy said you have to do it with the car running or the ABS system goes nuts. Anyone have any input on this?

not true... i did it without the car running as far as i know so did everyone else. No abs probs.

typically with ABS systems you allow the pressure in the system to bleed the brakes, no pedal pumping. YOu turn the key on ( not started ) and open the bleeder valve. This is done on many cars at least at the rear brakes. The Mark VIII is not done this way?The Mark VII was.

Back