a/c smells?

lokepa19

Registered
I'm trying to sell my car and i have it priced reasonably, but what is stopping people is the a/c smell and and the a/c is warm.

Now i believe i have leaky o rings that need replace, but that wouldn't produce a meldew smell. any idea? i described the problem to one guy and he said its the evaporator. But i manage to find a tsb on the mark viii a/c system that said its fungi growing the evaporator and you can disodorize the system.

anybody have heard of this or done this? thanks

Ya. If I recall they put a liquid in and it cleans it out but its REALLY toxic. Cant be in the car during the procedure.

Is it also possible the drain plug is clogged resulting in water staying in the core box thingy?

if was clogged wouldn't that result in the carpet being wet? i have read that if the carpet is wet then that could be the problem. calling the dealership to find out if they have this a/c disordorizer.

Going to try some home remedies, run the heat for 20 mins or so to dry up the evaporator and then run the a/c to have it suck in air from the outside and spray lysol or some disinfected in there and then shut it off to trap the spray inside the box to kill the germs. i will post my results.

You need a strong fungicide if you do it yourself. Try the local Ace Hardware or Home Depot. They can likely help out.

The lysol made a mess on the exterior of the air vents but it did manage to get inside the car, due to the overwhelming cleaning smell inside the cab. I recommend keeping all doors open during this process. I tried it the first time and i let the car sit for 5 mins and started the a/c which now smelt like lysol and *ass*. So i ran the heat again for 15 mins, then run the air vent and sprayed lysol down there for 5 mins or so off and on and turned the system off and let it sit over night.

i manage to find the drain for the a/c but there is no hose coming out of the firewall should there be a hose? i didn't notice my a/c draining at all, manage to put a peice of cooper and now i see water coming out.

but i still have no a/c which could be the o rings are bad or the evaporator is leaking?

Back