Help RPM's will not go above 3,000

njf207

Registered
98' Mark 96,000 Miles. This all started after I got some bad gas now I have more problems. As long as I am easy on the car I can run up to any speed. When I get into the gas hard and push her to the 3,000 mark it fights me and will not go above that. On my way to work this morning I had it to about 90 and took it out of over drive and as soon as that tach hit 3,000 it starting fighting rite away. I dont think its tranny related. Any ideas would help alot.

Thanks Again
Nick

If it started with bad gas, I would certainly suspect the fuel system. Check the fuel pressure under load.

You may want to do a vacuum test.

Thats all way above what I can do. Is there anything simple I should be looking for. I hate to say it but time is something I dont have alot of. I also have the problem that my favorite lincoln dealership was sold and I no longer have a trustworth dealership to take it to.

You say no CEL??? Have you checked it with a checker? Or are you saying no CEL on the message center? AZ will pull your codes for free.

Yea there is no CEL. I will take it to Az monday or tuesday. I have had no warning lights or messages of any kind. It has to be something stupid and simple that im just misssing. I will have the codes pulls asap and post again soon.

Thanks
Nick

Tranny realted. I put the car in 1st gear and ran as far up as I could and shifted smouthly through all the gears like there was never anything wrong. Drove it in Drive for another 40 Mins and then out of no where it started again.

Thanks
Nick

NO sorry I had to make a trip to cleveland OH for work. I hope to have them pulled in the morning. This has been one bad day. I left my cell phone in our box truck my wife hit almost hit a deer. This has not been one bad day.

Thanks
Nick

that sounds more like timing advance problms or spark related, I start by changing the wires and plugs and check for corect gap. mine would idle fine but under load it didint go till i changed wires. and duble check wier to fiering order

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Spark issues usually show face under a heavier load, it sounds to me like a bad coil pack or multiple cylinders, or even a weak alternator/battery causing a weak spark.

The "bad gas" theory isn't going to "stick around". Once its gone, it usually doesn't effect anything after you burn it off. If it was the fuel filter, it would stay clogged, not just be effected under WOT conditions.

I'd suggest doing to the easy stuff first.....take it to AutoZone and have the codes read, and also have them check the charging system.

On the other hand, maybe a better description of the problem could help us more.

Does the car shake or does it feel like its hitting a rev limiter and won't go any higher? If the IMRC's are stuck shut, the engine will go above 3k under light load, but if its trying to get more air under WOT conditions, the engine will starve because the IMRC's are shut.

Try this.....put it in first gear and try to get the RPMs above 3k under normal acceleration, but don't shift the trans. The RPMs should still climb all the way up to redline, but if you try to give it a lot of gas it will bog down. Try this and let us know......remember, granny it in first, I bet you can get past 3k.

Back