Gen 1 & Gen 2 Intakes?

BIG ROLLER

formerly K.B.R.
In regards to driller's thread asking anyone if they have IMRC delete plates they would like to sell for the Gen 1 intake.

He had said that the plates for the Gen 2 would not work with the Gen 1 and I was just wondering why that was?

The Gen 1 intakes have 2 round ports per cylinder, the Gen 2 and Cobra intakes have 1 round and 1 square port per cylinder.

Here is a Cobra (Gen2 Mark VIII) delete plate with the square & round holes...

IMRC.jpg

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

Versus the Gen1 Mark VIII IMRC with 2 round ports per cylinder...

Attachments

• mini-IMG-20110617-00041.jpg
    mini-IMG-20110617-00041.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
Wait, so the heads are different too or do the first gen IMRC's secondaries morph into a square on the other side? I thought B heads were B heads.

Wait, so the heads are different too or do the first gen IMRC's secondaries morph into a square on the other side? I thought B heads were B heads.

The heads are the same. It is the intake that is different and as such the TOP of the IMRCs that mate to the actual intake. The 1st Gen IMRCs secondaries do morph into a 'square' on the bottom side that mates to the head.

Here is a pic of the BOTTOM side of the same IMRC (pictured above)...

Attachments

• mini-IMG-20110617-00043.jpg
    mini-IMG-20110617-00043.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
Contrary to what I thought before, I think I should consider after what I read in DLF's post in that other thread. The logic behind them pretty much has me sold, especially with the 4.30s and 3800 stall. I've heard they scream up high. And I guess you learn something new every day lol. I had no idea about the port design until now. But I guess it makes sense with the runner design on the Gen 1s. I guess that explains why the stock runners won't work on a Gen1 cobra intake swap. Duh! I never thought about that.

Last edited:
The heads are the same. It is the intake that is different and as such the TOP of the IMRCs that mate to the actual intake. The 1st Gen IMRCs secondaries do morph into a 'square' on the bottom side that mates to the head.

Here is a pic of the BOTTOM side of the same IMRC (pictured above)...
I take it that the delete plates are basically the same without the throttle blades between the ports?

Back