new computer?

missmh

Registered
1996 mark viii - 65k
extreme vibration a few seconds after starting, check engine light on.
flatbedded to shop w/ following diagnosis:
"poor running - check engine light on - po352 po353 po354 present -
found a faulty coil driver in pcm"
they did try coil pack replacement but it made no difference.
final recommendation was that i need a new computer.
car flatbedded back home, i had new plugs/wires installed then
re-scanned which produced the same three codes.
thoughts, ideas, suggestions? (new computer? :frown:)
thanks!

Just for grins,if you haven't done it already, is to disconnect the battery cables (for about 5 minutes) to reset the computer.

Last edited:
Not likely the computer. Definitely a misfire though. I'll check those codes when I get home and have access. Sounds like a crank position sensor symptom.

It's coil based problem,(per codes), but we know how electrons can get confused at times. Try the reset just to please one of us.

It very well could be a chip/transistor inside the PCM.

Luckily, the '96 is OBD2 without the EEC-IV EIDS setup and without the COP design. The only other 'ignition' components are the cam and crank sensors. Since they already tried a new coil-pack, I would follow J's suggestion and recommend you try a new crank sensor and cam sensor (in that order) paying particular attention to the harness plugs for those two components as well.

The age-old adage of Garbage-In/Garbage-Out applies here.

Good luck, because if it is the "computer", they are a one year specific model design and it will be difficult to source a replacement.

As I mentioned on LVC, those codes are for B-C-D coil, primary circuit failure. You probably have only 2 cylinders firing. IF they tried a coil, then it's definately in the harness to the coil, or in the computer. Since its' obdII, you cannot clear the codes by removing battery power. That will only reset the Keep Alive memory. You have to clear them with the scan tool.

You can clear codes in a Gen II by removing the ground from the battery....I've done it a number of times before I bought my scan tool. Biggest prob is that it will also put the computer in a re-learn state.

Good luck, because if it is the "computer", they are a one year specific model design and it will be difficult to source a replacement.

^FACT!!!!

but check this out

F6LF-12A650-BC
$125
Dixie Auto Parts & Salvage USA-FL(Pompano-Beach) E-mail 1-800-286-9482

whodathunkit?

Back