Ford Motor Co. said it has produced its last Crown Victoria

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
Ford retires Crown Victoria
Published: Sept. 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM

DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 16 (UPI) -- Ford Motor Co. said it has produced its last Crown Victoria, a middle-class icon that was prominent in fleets of corporations and police departments.

Ford said over the past year it only produced 80,000 of the Crown Vic cars, which were made with a body-on-frame design as opposed to a unibody structure. That made the car, with its V-8 engine, a durable workhorse for companies, CNNMoney reported Friday.

For decades, it was the most popular model among U.S. police departments. What it lacked in fuel efficiency -- rated at 24 miles per gallon -- it made up for with plenty of leg room and a powerful engine.

In the end, the factory in Ontario, Canada, that made the car could be put to better use, Ford's manager for government fleet sales, Tony Gratson, said.

The facility where the Crown Vic was produced is capable of making 250,000 cars a year, more than three times the number of Crown Vics sold in the last year.

USA Today said the Crown Vic, which was launched in the 1950s, is not the only heavy Ford sedan to be phased out this year. The Lincoln Town Car is also slated for retirement this year.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Business_News/20...toria/UPI-98311316193586/print/#ixzz1YB0g1vUG

I drove the Mercury version (Grand Marquis) for a number of years as a business car. There was none greater! It's demise has been held off for MANY years tho. We sure can't say no one saw this coming....

I have seen Chrysler (Dodge Charger) taking over the slot for some time......esp for local/county police. What are the State Police now using?

Sad.:frown:

Oklahoma Highway Patrol uses Chargers and Chevy Tahoes. Havent seen a OHP Crown Vic in probably 2 years in my area. There are still a lot of City and County departments with Vics but the bigger departments have been slowly making the transition as of late

my '86 is still going strong, but hovering around 330,000 miles. she sure doesn't look like she used to though..

"Medium Regatta Blue" here.. Paint code 3Y

Why do I know that? I'm really not sure..

I guess I do like the color though. what little is left.

Wirelessly posted (LOUD NOISES!: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

How many cars you got, or is this the wagon?

Back