Rear suspension clunk

beerdog

Registered
Anyone ever get a clunking noise from the rear wheel bearing or halfshaft when hitting bumps at slower speeds? I was poking arround looking for the source. The only thing I can see so far is I can movet the halfshaft a little.Somewhat sounds like the same clunking.

I don't know if it is the same for 2nd gen cars, but my first gen had a bad rubber thing that went between the body and the rear shocks and had pretty much disintegrated and therefore caused thumping when going over bumps.

:D -J

I was trying that. Up, down, sideways. I even spun it on my finger and shot some hoops with it. I cannot reproduce it. The thing about the loose shock mounts is that is very easy to reproduce. The only thing I can come close to making the sound is if I grab the half shaft and try to slide it in and out. It moves a little and I can kind of get it to make noise. I can also hear the continual low volume rumbling from the rear as I drive that sounds very much like a bad bearing. This nois eis easily drowned out with the radio on even at a very low volume.

I think I will play arround with it some more tonight. It just sounds soo much like something is loose.

Heck, crawl into the trunk and pull back the upholstery. You can see the upper shock mounts. Because the stock shocks are gas filled, if the mount is bad, you will likely be able to see if they are intact or not. (take a flashlight in with you)

shocks were replaced last year. I did the poly mounts where you burn out the original rubber fromt he mount. In 3 years I went through 2 sets of stock mounts. That was the first thing I checked.

CHeck the sway bar to brake cable ties, as well as center spring tension clamp for the brake cables.

if you cant get any noises our of those things, or can find no worn bushings, dont forget the UCA bushing from UCA to body, both of mine are shot right now and you can deffinatly hear them, and the rear end gets really jumpy around 90 on the freeway,
also the rear-end gears will make a rumble noise when they are going out, change that gear oil and see if that quietens it up a bit, i like to give my rear end and tranny a good flush once a year
actually i do every fuid and it gets new bulbs and tires every year, yay taxes

sorry to jump in on your thread, but if someone knows of a full bushing kit or where to get some cheap ones, i found the UCA bushing kit at Oreillys for $56 each side, so please chime in
im currently working in a custom rear shock mount ( a project started about a month ago, and ive been really busy in my shop) i will post pics and a write up and the outcome

i found the OEM bushing at Advance , $30 for the sway bar, 40 for the linkage, 50 for the UCA body bushing and 60 for the LCA

Back