BestOptions? HID bulb replacement 1997 MarkVIII

4sracn

Registered
Ok, I have been reading several post regarding the issues about HID bulbs and the Gen.2 MarkVIII's. There are several posts and I am getting overwhelmed with all the information. Can someone tell me the readers digest version of my options, with the following...
I have a 1997 MarkVIII with drivers side HID low beam bulb blown. I want to keep the HID lighting or similar lighting. I am willing to convert both sides if that is what I have to do to keep the HID. I have read about Gen.1 Marks being converted to HID, will this conversion work on the Gen.2 and if so where do I find the conversions? I feel like the only thing I can do is buy salvage bulbs for premium price, although I know its risky. Are there any aftermarket systems that will work without causing problems with other sensors and computers? Also, I don't like the aftermarket lighting that looks so blue, it looks like an ambulance coming down the road. Thank you for your time.

To convert the first generation Marks to HID, one used a second generation light set. You can find these sets, but they are very pricey nowadays. OEM bulbs are sky high.

Only the LOW beams were HID in the second generation.

The blue lights you see are typically Halogen bulbs that are trying to look like an HID.

First, some of the thread on Gen One HID conversions are just that, conversions. They started out Halogen and for about $80 you can get HID and even get a color temp that is from blue to white and all the way to the yellow end if you want.

For a Gen Two you have these options:
•*New HID adapter kit. Includes adapters and new ballasts with capsules to install much cheaper and more common HID capsules. Up front prices is about $200 but then you are set when they go out in a couple years.
• New OEM Ford Halogen housings. About $600 will get you two NEW OEM housings, but they are the new Halogen setup. However, you can get the same affordable Gen One HID conversion kits that are ALL over eBay.

So the affordable thing to do is the conversion kit, then you are set for life. But if your housings are not in the best shape and you have about $700 to spend, the new Halogen housings with the HID kit can not be beat. Again, you will be set for life.

search for my comments regarding what I did and that would be your best solution, I think

i replaced my factory hids with a kit that i bought from ebay made for gen 2 marks.. worked great and color is very close to factory paid about 300 for both bulbs and ballasts.. now having problems with one side but both bulbs and ballasts work on driver side wiring passenger side wiring having problems.. but the kit does work well for the price

For a Gen Two you have these options:
• New OEM Ford Halogen housings. About $600 will get you two NEW OEM housings, but they are the new Halogen setup. However, you can get the same affordable Gen One HID conversion kits that are ALL over eBay.

Not to sound stupid, but I just want to make sure that I've got this correct before I think about spending any money. haha The GenI HID conversion kit can be used with GenII halogen housings?

Not to sound stupid, but I just want to make sure that I've got this correct before I think about spending any money. haha The GenI HID conversion kit can be used with GenII halogen housings?

Yes. The "conversion kit" is just a set of HIDs with ballasts. The HID capsules are based for 9005. Thats the same base used for halogen. So for a Gen One that wants HID you "convert" by just plugging them in.

On a Gen Two and Gen One with HID the base is 9500 (not 9005) so you just cant plug anything in there since NO ONE makes a 9500 base anymore.

All Gen Two Marks come with HID housings. The new Halogen housings came out a few months ago as Ford's solution to the inability to get HIDs in 9500. These new housings use the same 9005 base as all other Marks that are halogen and thus can be converted to a 9005 base HID.

I hope that makes sense?

So, Are you saying that I can put a halogen conversion kit on my gen 2 and then plug in a gen 1 (9005) HID bulb? Will the lighting be the same as the standard HID (9500) on the gen 2 and are the gen 1 HID (9005) bulbs available?

Yes. The "conversion kit" is just a set of HIDs with ballasts. The HID capsules are based for 9005. Thats the same base used for halogen. So for a Gen One that wants HID you "convert" by just plugging them in.

On a Gen Two and Gen One with HID the base is 9500 (not 9005) so you just cant plug anything in there since NO ONE makes a 9500 base anymore.

All Gen Two Marks come with HID housings. The new Halogen housings came out a few months ago as Ford's solution to the inability to get HIDs in 9500. These new housings use the same 9005 base as all other Marks that are halogen and thus can be converted to a 9005 base HID.

I hope that makes sense?

Could I please get a current link or company name for this set up please?
I am interested in the 9006 capable set up. To be capable with this kit to use standard Wagner or Sylvania 9006 capsules with no voltage problems. Thanks

FWIW, the guy I bought my 98 Mark from has an after market HID kit from tophidkits.com Its new and never installed, he wants $88 for it which is what he paid for it. He's agreed to let me unbox and look it over before I buy....... I will let you guys know if its going to work or not. He bought the 8000K version.

John

8000k is pretty (not pretty as in beautiful) blue...don't know if you'd like it.... it'll sure look cheesy.....and lessen the visibality forward.

8000k is pretty (not pretty as in beautiful) blue...don't know if you'd like it.... it'll sure look cheesy.....and lessen the visibality forward.

+1...8000 is too high.

And $80 is also too high. A good kit can be had on eBay for $50 shipped.

Back