Wed Night Drags

46callaway

Registered
Only ran 3 times because of track down time. 1st run 2.28 60 foot, 14.76 at 95.33 MPH. 2nd run car got a 1.5 hour cool down and the motor felt really strong, however I spun off the line pretty bad and had a 2.36 60 foot time, still ran a 14.77 at 96MPH, basically the same time as the 1st run with a much worse 60 foot time! 3rd run I spun horrible to a 2.48 60 foot time, 14.9 at 96MPH. Pretty happy it was still in the 14's spinning that badly... overall i'm pretty happy. That 2nd run could have gotten me my best time if it hooked up. Craig got the first run on video so I'll post that as soon as he gets it on the internet.

What size and brand of tire are you running on the rear?

I found a really good "street tire" that hooks really well.
So well that I had a hard time doing a burnout at the last race.

I "used" to run a set of Cooper Zeon ZPT's 245-50-16s that had a treadwear rating of "380"... I had gotten my previous best 60' on those tires.

This time around I got a set of Cooper Zeon 2XS 245-50-16's, they are much stickier than the ZPT's, with a treadwear rating of "280" rather than "380".

The 100 point difference in treadwear rating made a HUGE difference.
First time at the track under crappy wet conditions I cut a 60' within .03 of my best 60 ever....

If you are "close" to needing tires, give a set of Cooper Zeon 2Xs's a shot, keep in mind that discount tire usually doesnt have them in stock, takes 2-3 days for them to order them.

the .76 pass and the .77 pass make me what to tell you to stop TNT and start running in the brackets!!!
once you get the 60's in check THAT CAR will be a force to be reckoned with I can assure you.

Thanks for the post, I enjoy reading other folks "trips to the track".
You ran within .1 of your best time, so all in all it looked like a decent night at the track.
What is your best 60?
Subtract the difference between your best 60, and last nights 60's...
if you are .1 off in the 60' that turns into .15 at the finish line.
with a "good 60" you probably would have KILLED your best time.

I have Sumitimo HRZ II's which have a thread wear rating of 220, they are very sticky but the track sucks on Wed's as they don't really prep it at all.

heh heh....maybe if you had a set of these, you'ld hook.

we had our best 60 foot times EVER last night

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/Blackicelsc/clint4.jpg

But I will admit...you were spinning pretty fierce...I'll get that vid up tonight Serge.

try the left lane next time out...it is ALWAYS better than the right...except last night, they were pretty equal after that Honduh tossed it's motor at 100 feet out, and dumped synthetic all the way down :(

Thanks Craig for the tip about the left lane... I'm used to running in the right lane every single time because that's the good lane at Sac Raceway. The car can definitely do 14.5's right now if I had drag radials.

yea...left lane is almost 1/10th quicker for us...that's a TON in a low 9 second car.

here's the crappy vid...sorry...quality blows...I am using a old 8mm camcorder and a Dazzle converter to transfer it.

the sound is delayed...after your car is seen launching, you will hear your tires cry out in pain as a delayed "help us"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIvRWuSUNM

This time around I got a set of Cooper Zeon 2XS 245-50-16's, they are much stickier than the ZPT's, with a treadwear rating of "280" rather than "380".

The 100 point difference in treadwear rating made a HUGE difference.
First time at the track under crappy wet conditions I cut a 60' within .03 of my best 60 ever....

Would you even recommend these as good daily driving tires? My tires are starting to go bald, and I've been wondering what to get next. (sorry for the derail)

yes I would, the previous set of rear tires I got 50K which I thought was alot of miles because it was a full season of bracket racing which takes its toll on the tires.

this time around I am going to give up a little longetivity to get a little more traction, which is all I really need.

try the 2XS's they are really good tires

If you watch the video you can clearly see it's the 98 LSC. Mods are Sniper Tune, 2.5 dual exhaust out to stock LSC catback and no mufflers, SVT Focus fuel pump and Amsoil conical filter.

Serge...why dont you tell them how much butt you kicked last week?

I was darn proud of you...watching you win round after round, doin' it like a true bracket racer.

There are 2 main reasons people take their car to the track:

1)to see just how fast/quick their car can go
2)forget the ET, and concentrate on going rounds.

I've seen you go for reason #1 plenty of times.
but to see you go for reason #2, and race them like a pro was AWESOME.

Nice job pal...largest class there, finishing in the top 8(quarter finalist).

for many of us, it doesnt matter what you're racing...as long as you're RACING~

full props pal. Nice work.

Thanks for the kind words, Craig. My GF's Jetta is so consistent that it's pretty easy to go rounds in it. I made a mental mistake the last round, I staged extremely shallow and tried to react faster on the tree than the previous round which was a .128 and I redlighted barely.

I would like to meet up with you there. I have never raced, but would like to. How often do you go?

Let me know which Wed you want to go and I'll meet up with you. This wed there are no drags, it's an off day. Is your gen 2 all stock or do you have some mods?

Let me know which Wed you want to go and I'll meet up with you. This wed there are no drags, it's an off day. Is your gen 2 all stock or do you have some mods?

Stock, I do have 3.73 gears but have not installed them yet. Until the second week of June I have a class Wed Nights, but will skip if you go before that. If not any Wed on or after Jun 18.

Last edited:
Back