fuel tank and sender fun time!

andyfanshawe

Registered
So, its fuel tank play time! Not just to investigate why the fuel level reading on the dash is all over the place, but because its about time it was cleaned up and the underbody checked out above the fuel tank and in places where the exhaust was (back corners).
Call it having fun!

car up in the air first on railway sleepers (my country squire project is in my garage, so its working outside time!

fuelsenderjob2.jpg

Here's the exhaust on the back garden...

exhaustout2.jpg

And the first views of the underbody where the back boxes were.

rearcorner3.jpg

rearcorner1.jpg

All in really good condition. Not bad for a car in the UK!

And out with the fuel tank after a struggle for an hour with one fuel vapour line connector! For anyone that knows it, its the one by the frame rail that goes to the evap tray! It wouldn't come off at all. I pulled, pushed, twisted, swore and eventually it came loose. Stupid blue plastic fastener thing!

fueltank2.jpg

All pipes from the tank sealed up and attacked it with an air grinder and black nylon wheel on an electric drill! My Wife went out because she said "I don't want to get blown up!"

Here it is during and after 3 hours prep to get rid of the rust that has formed where the tank is welded. Nothing major but needs stopping now.

preppedfueltank2.jpg

fueltanklip3.jpg

fueltank11.jpg

And its out with the fuel pump/sender assembly

oldfuelsender.jpg

I've seen many photos of fuel pumps on the forums, but haven't seen any good ones of where the sender is located. So thats put that right!

Time to change the sender with one from a focus. But first lets check the resistance of the old one empty and full.

Empty

oldfuellevelsenderemptyreading.jpg

Full

oldfuellevelsenderfullreading.jpg

New one installed and further readings taken

Empty
newfuellevelsenderemptyreading.jpg

full
newfuellevelsenderfullreading.jpg

Almost identical, which is good, but why the fluctuating reading at the dash? I have checked the gauge with NGS star tester and all is good.
When I split the multi plug just in front of the tank under the car, it was tough to pull apart. When it did split there was slight corossion on 4 of the pins. So that could be it. Anyway, they have been cleaned up and the sender changed, so there's a good chance it may now work!

Back to the car..... Has anyone ever taken a photo from inside the tank? Risky? Doubt it! Lets have a go!

Here's a view towards the fuel filler neck
insidefueltank4.jpg

And one sideways

insidefueltank1.jpg

Slight corossion in 2 places, but none at the seams. Looking good there as well!

The tank will now be painted in 2 pack epoxy paint one half at a time.

The fuel filler pipes don't look fantastic, so out they come as well!

fuelfillerpipes1.jpg

fuelfillerpipes4.jpg

To be continued.....................

Back