[PICS] NJ battleship run with corvettes (mega pics!! No dial up!! [PICS]

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
Toured the USS NJ Battle Ship today with my Corvette group in Camden, NJ.

DSC04995.jpg

DSC04997.jpg

DSC05006.jpg

DSC05025.jpg

DSC05039.jpg

DSC05040.jpg

DSC05045.jpg

DSC05047.jpg

DSC05060.jpg

DSC05066.jpg

DSC05068.jpg

DSC05074.jpg

DSC05077.jpg

DSC05080.jpg

DSC05082.jpg

DSC05083.jpg

DSC05084.jpg

DSC05086.jpg

DSC05089.jpg

DSC05091.jpg

DSC05093.jpg

DSC05095.jpg

DSC05098.jpg

DSC05101.jpg

DSC05102.jpg

DSC05105.jpg

DSC05106.jpg

DSC05108.jpg

DSC05111.jpg

DSC05114.jpg

DSC05115.jpg

DSC05117.jpg

DSC05118.jpg

DSC05121.jpg

DSC05123.jpg

DSC05126.jpg

DSC05127.jpg

DSC05128.jpg

DSC05129.jpg

DSC05130.jpg

DSC05135.jpg

DSC05139.jpg

DSC05142.jpg

DSC05143.jpg

DSC05144.jpg

DSC05145.jpg

DSC05148.jpg

DSC05152.jpg

DSC05160.jpg

DSC05161.jpg

DSC05162.jpg

DSC05166.jpg

DSC05171.jpg

DSC05173.jpg

DSC05174.jpg

DSC05177.jpg

DSC05178.jpg

DSC05181.jpg

DSC05183.jpg

DSC05190.jpg

DSC05198.jpg

DSC05203.jpg

DSC05204.jpg

DSC05207.jpg

DSC05208.jpg

DSC05217.jpg

DSC05218.jpg

DSC05219.jpg

DSC05222.jpg

DSC05224.jpg

DSC05225.jpg

DSC05228.jpg

DSC05231.jpg

DSC05233.jpg

DSC05234.jpg

wow awesome pictures. as amazing as it still is to see large aircraft actually stay up in the sky, its just as amazing to see ships of that size stay afloat in the sea. all the electronics throughout those ships, the miles and miles of plumbing and wiring and everything else, truely an awesome display of hand made american machinery. the vettes look good too but im not a vette guy so the ship had my interest!!!

Just one of the main gun turrets weighs as much as a modern day destroyer. The thickness of the armor is crazy. Modern weaponry would still have trouble penetrating it.
One of the shells for the main guns weighs as much as an old VW Bug, but can be shot about 24 miles and land within 50’ of its target.

wow awesome pictures. as amazing as it still is to see large aircraft actually stay up in the sky, its just as amazing to see ships of that size stay afloat in the sea. all the electronics throughout those ships, the miles and miles of plumbing and wiring and everything else, truely an awesome display of hand made american machinery. the vettes look good too but im not a vette guy so the ship had my interest!!!

Marvelous pictures. Great destination, vetts sure looked great posed there as well. I used to call on Dahlgren Naval weapons station and they would fire those 16 & 18" guns off across Cheasapeak Bay into Box Cars stacked end to end filled with saw dust (they wanted to retrieve the shells). It would lift you right off the ground when they went off. I could only imagine what it would be like on board, guess you would be "sonic cleaned".

Marvelous pictures. Great destination, vetts sure looked great posed there as well. I used to call on Dahlgren Naval weapons station and they would fire those 16 & 18" guns off across Cheasapeak Bay into Box Cars stacked end to end filled with saw dust (they wanted to retrieve the shells). It would lift you right off the ground when they went off. I could only imagine what it would be like on board, guess you would be "sonic cleaned".

The steel "hut" structure behind the rear guns is damaged and buckled due to the concussion of firing the guns. You can see the break in the steel beam on the right. If one was on the deck by them when they went off you probably would not be around to tell anyone about it.

DSC05458.jpg

Great pics Steve. I'm especially amused though by the communications shack with all the antiquated teletypes and the rather moden photocopy machine!

Wow....that is awesome. I went to "Fleet Week" in San Fransisco and after waiting for 2 hours to get onto a carrier I gave up. I would have loved to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

Great pics as always steve.

You lost a bunch of weight too !

Destroyer is crazy but those cannons serve very little use under todays modern weaponry.

BTW that mini gun is sick!!! Looks like they shot it a bit as well :D

Great pics as always steve.

You lost a bunch of weight too !

Destroyer is crazy but those cannons serve very little use under todays modern weaponry.

BTW that mini gun is sick!!! Looks like they shot it a bit as well :D

Gee, do ya think that may be one of the reasons that it is decommissioned? LOL

Wow..Thanks Steve.

Wow..Thanks Steve.

Thanks for posting your tour of the vessel. Alot of interesting pics to see the machinery and imagining it at its former pristine conditon operational back in the day. It always is fun to got to musuems and such to see and take pictures, but nothing compares to actualy being there, smelling, and feeling the locked emotions and past memories locked into that machine like you guys were.

Thank you for sharing. And good picture taking. You got alot of good shots and clear shots of all the writing and murals i read each one.

Thanks for posting your tour of the vessel. Alot of interesting pics to see the machinery and imagining it at its former pristine conditon operational back in the day. It always is fun to got to musuems and such to see and take pictures, but nothing compares to actualy being there, smelling, and feeling the locked emotions and past memories locked into that machine like you guys were.

Thank you for sharing. And good picture taking. You got alot of good shots and clear shots of all the writing and murals i read each one.

There is still a lot of the ship we did not see and lots more murals. The murals are painted by the service men (and woman I guess). They had to submit a sketch for approval to the captain before painting them. The museum people are trying to get approval from the state to allow tours of the engine room. I think it has to do with safety and liability. They are also restoring other parts of the ship for the tour, the work gets done via donation and volunteers.

They are also restoring other parts of the ship for the tour, the work gets done via donation and volunteers.

Yeah, when i first saw the cellar looking pics i wanted to walk around in there with my putty knife above head scraping the ceiling and sucking it up with a shop vac behind me. It just bothered my eye terribly. I was looking at the wooden deck too all dryrotted. I can imagine it was probably high gloss and smooth back in the day with a coat of polyurethane on it (well back in the day they probably used varnish or shellac?) to protect it.

They are also restoring other parts of the ship for the tour, the work gets done via donation and volunteers.

Yeah, when i first saw the cellar looking pics i wanted to walk around in there with my putty knife above head scraping the ceiling and sucking it up with a shop vac behind me. It just bothered my eye terribly. I was looking at the wooden deck too all dryrotted. I can imagine it was probably high gloss and smooth back in the day with a coat of polyurethane on it (well back in the day they probably used varnish or shellac?) to protect it.

The deck is the teak from 1943, so I don’t think it is in that bad of shape given the age and the action the ship saw. They replaced one section with pine not to long ago and it is in worse shape then the original teak. Then they did restore one real bad section with teak and it looks great but it cost a lot of money. There is so much to do the deck is not a priority right now. The one photo of the deck with the crescent shaped dents is from when the 5” gun shells exited the turret, that is history right there.

The pealing paint is inside the front 16" gun turret.

Last edited:
Great pics Steve. I'm especially amused though by the communications shack with all the antiquated teletypes and the rather moden photocopy machine!

Well, it is a museum, it last saw action in the gulf war, remember what computers were back then, so any equipment of value or secrecy I am sure would have been taken off.

Back