Mark not airing up

In the regular fuse panel, check fuses, 4, 20, 28. Oh shoot...you have a '93. These numbers are in my '97 manual.

That is wrong in so many ways.

If that was my car, I'd put the car up on jackstands, remove the wood and airsprings, and inspect all the suspension parts with no load on them.

Then, I'd replace all the worn parts, and replace the airsprings and be done with it.

That is too dangerous to drive.

1: the car is not being driven, it is in my driveway.
2: I have jacked up the front of the car and tried to find where the problem lies. I have replaced the compressor, tested the relay, made sure the air lines are in the compressor completely. The only reason i leave the blocks there is because it is not safe to leave a car in the air on jackstands for more than a day. I could be at work and some kid could get hurt, not cool. So they stay in when the car is sitting on the ground to keep it from slamming to the ground.

So what would you test next? I have used a liquid leak finder (thats what is on that bag in the pic) to see if they are leaking but so far i have not found any bubbles.

I just got this car and dont have a LOT of money to throw at it. If the bags are leaking and need replaced, im swaping to coils so i dont have this headache again. But that is my LAST resort. I dont just want to swap parts not knowing if they are bad or not. Thats like shooting in the dark.

I went to Lincoln's website to download the manual for my 93 but their website says they do not have it anymore. Does anyone have one for a 93 they could email me?

I double checked the fuses and found a blown 20amp. It was the fuse for the center display. now to get the air ride going..... Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks guys i really appreciate it!

Problem is, that may NOT be your problem. It may be electrical.....with all the other problems with that car, it's anyone's guess how many things are wrong with it....This is NOT the way to learn working on a Mark. Trial by fire!

Problem is, that may NOT be your problem. It may be electrical.....with all the other problems with that car, it's anyone's guess how many things are wrong with it....This is NOT the way to learn working on a Mark. Trial by fire!

I agree trial by fire is the wrong way to do it. Thats why i said changing to coils is a last resort. Im not worried about it having electrical problems, everything seems to be fine other than 1 fuse blowing. The fuse was really old and discolored so it could have just gone from age.

Looking at your pics I suspect that your air bags have deteriated and are leaking. The leaks typically come from the folds in the form of microscopic cracks in the rubber, you need a magnifying glass to see them. Your bags appear to be originals. I would advise you to visit American Air and order new air springs from Eddie.

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/cart/products.php?cat=3

One final try would to take soapy water and really lather up the rubber bladders to see if they are leaking.

Last edited:
1: the car is not being driven, it is in my driveway.
2: I have jacked up the front of the car and tried to find where the problem lies. I have replaced the compressor, tested the relay, made sure the air lines are in the compressor completely. The only reason i leave the blocks there is because it is not safe to leave a car in the air on jackstands for more than a day. I could be at work and some kid could get hurt, not cool. So they stay in when the car is sitting on the ground to keep it from slamming to the ground.

So what would you test next? I have used a liquid leak finder (thats what is on that bag in the pic) to see if they are leaking but so far i have not found any bubbles.

I just got this car and dont have a LOT of money to throw at it. If the bags are leaking and need replaced, im swaping to coils so i dont have this headache again. But that is my LAST resort. I dont just want to swap parts not knowing if they are bad or not. Thats like shooting in the dark.

I didn't mean to sound arrogant or anything, sorry if it sounded like that.

I said that that's what I'd do because that's what I did shortly after I bought both of my cars.

They both needed it, and they've been driving great ever since.

If you want to try to get the airsprings to inflate at least temporarily for now, I'd remove that block of wood and jack up the front of the car just a couple of inches below where it should be, and try letting it inflate for a few cycles of air ride warnings (key on and off a few times).

I didn't mean to sound arrogant or anything, sorry if it sounded like that.

I said that that's what I'd do because that's what I did shortly after I bought both of my cars.

They both needed it, and they've been driving great ever since.

If you want to try to get the airsprings to inflate at least temporarily for now, I'd remove that block of wood and jack up the front of the car just a couple of inches below where it should be, and try letting it inflate for a few cycles of air ride warnings (key on and off a few times).

No, you didnt sound arrogant, i just wanted to list what i have done so far so it might make troubleshooting easier. Maybe I came off the wrong way,sorry if i did.I appreciate any and all help!

I am going to try what you said about the airsprings tomorrow. I don't like the idea of it using wood blocks on a car, but thats how i got it so i didn't want to risk taking them out and not being able to get a jack under it later, lol. Only problem is, im not sure how high to jack it up for the air springs. I have a good idea of how high i think it should be. Would you jack up the front of the car at the k member?

Yes, jack it up at the K member and leave the jack there in case it doesn't inflate. Also, you can always drive the front tires over your wood blocks for more jack clearance.

I'd jack it up to about 22 inches from the bottom of the wheel to the bottom of the fender. The stock measurement there is 24 and 1/2 inches.

Before you start the compressor running, I'd spray both bags liberally with soapy water to check for leaks.

I did what you suggested and the car wont keep itself up at all. I figure the bags are just too old and are shot. I plan on getting a coil over kit from American air suspension as soon as i can. Thanks for all of the help guys

I couldnt see or hear any leaks coming from the bags. I have been reading a lot of other posts when other people had problems and i think the bags are just too old. The air springs dont air up, the bladders dont hold air, the relay is good, compressor is good, so i think i am going to just replace the suspension. Even if it were not the bags and it was something else, i would eventually go to coils anyway. I like the air ride but i do not want the headaches that come with it. If i put in coils from American Air Suspension, i can put it in once and not have to ever worry about it again. :D

Back