2 Young teens die racing a corvette :(

maxmk8

Registered
This is on my way home... the route I always take back from work... I just saw it on the news and I stopped by and shot a few pics...

here is a link to the news article...

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=6321771

Taken with phone so camera not that great

here is where it all began- no dirt on road just 4 wheel lockup of brakes.
Probably 800 feet out you can't even see the crash site from here... the car did a few 360s
DSC00010.jpg

Skidmarks... :eek:
DSC00007.jpg

Looking the other way
DSC00008.jpg

They took out the fence and the pole ...
DSC00011.jpg

You can see that a pole was put back into place
DSC00012.jpg

Piece of car still left at scene along with gloves and other things
DSC00013.jpg

Random ppl there at 7pm
DSC00014.jpg

The girl was cute ... the guy seemed like a normal teen :sadangel:
Sucks to die in such a useless and violent death.

DSC00015.jpg

here are the pics from the news

cv-crash-1-081208-600.jpg

The corvette has a very strong frame... hence the taken out pole :( Unfrotunatly they flipped on the roof and he was probably going at least 70mph at the time of impact and 140 when he was racing... no car will save him then... also it was a 97 Vette with no stability control... whether it would helped remains questionable :(
cv-crash-7-081208-600.jpg

Last edited:
How sad.

But I also hate those memorial type things near the road, I find it so distracting to other drivers (including me).

Well for what it is worth the chick was aware of the racing and was supposed to swap seats with the other girl in the M3... or that is the developing story :(.

I have to commend the other teens though for waiting there and not running. At least it sounded like that from the report that the other two didn't leave the scene after the accident.

Dang.....by the looks of your pictures, it looked like they actually moved the telephone pole to a new location, the old one being where the "No Parking" sign is. You can see how the skids go right to that point and not the new one.

Its a shame....

18 y/o....I bet the parents are regretting that they bought their son a fast car. :(

Last edited:
How sad.

But I also hate those memorial type things near the road, I find it so distracting to other drivers (including me).

Yes very sad.

I agree with your comment on the memorial. I live on a mountain road and we have several fatalities a year. People being stupid or just a plain accident. All that turns into is trash and those that left it don't come back to clean it up.

well i hope i dont offend anyone by saying it , but i have no sympathy for stuff like this. i feel sorry for the parents, but not the ones who lost their life. it wouldnt have happend and it could have been avoided if they used their heads. you screw around like that in a car, you get whats coming to you. cars are no joke, and they have been around for 100 years + so theres no excuse when it comes to turning one into a speeding bullet. 2 of the closets friends in my life were killed because of morons just like this so it hits hard with me when i see death because of stupidity. on top of it all, what the hell is a 17 year old doing in a corvette??????

well i hope i dont offend anyone by saying it , but i have no sympathy for stuff like this. i feel sorry for the parents, but not the ones who lost their life. it wouldnt have happend and it could have been avoided if they used their heads. you screw around like that in a car, you get whats coming to you. cars are no joke, and they have been around for 100 years + so theres no excuse when it comes to turning one into a speeding bullet. 2 of the closets friends in my life were killed because of morons just like this so it hits hard with me when i see death because of stupidity. on top of it all, what the hell is a 17 year old doing in a corvette??????

+1 for the corvette comment. At least a Ferrari would have gave him a fighting chance! Waste of Money and lives IMO thats why we set up tracks.

I doubt the car was the kids, probably the parents but I have not read any updates. Age is less and issue than experience with even this type of car. Sad that they were young but this could have happened to anyone who does not know how to handle a "road friendly" Vette. Either way it appears to be a reckless act and they paid the price for pushing and unfamiliar car to dangerous speeds.

when i posted about nick bollea and his accident i got torn a new one on the fact that his parents let him drive a car that was too powerful for him, so my 17 year old comment wasnt so much about experience, the fact is, the car was in the wrong hands, no 17 year old kid should be in a car like that even if they were born in a rail car and lived in it those 17 years. if i had anything remotley close to a vette and my son or daughter asked for the keys at 17 years old they wouldnt even get the question out of their mouth before they heard my answer. alot of kids are very dumb when it comes to a powerful car and peer pressure to show off, i was young and had a v-8 in my teens also and i look back now and think alot differently about it now than i did then, and in my opinion the only ones to blame for this is who ever owned that vette and handed the keys to them. thats where the night turned for the worse at that very moment.

Age is less and issue than experience with even this type of car.

the fact is, the car was in the wrong hands, the only ones to blame for this is who ever owned that vette and handed the keys to them. .

Yep....its a power vs. experience issue. My best friend did the same thing. Drove a 80 BMW 320i for about 3 years and went out and bought a 96 Mustang GT. Had it 8 hours and crashed it into a pole....luckily he had just turned left from a stop sign and couldn't handle the power, over corrected and hit a fence pole at about 45.

Completely stock.....but the good thing was he was able to fix it and put a Cobra R hood, Cobra front bumper and side skirts.
DCP_0627.jpg

DCP_0694-1.jpg

DCP_0695.jpg

Than....about a year later he crashed it again, lol and decided to change the color. (why?!)
PIC790.jpg

PIC789.jpg

PIC788.jpg

No he's not Mexican, lol.

Total...he crashed the thing 5 times. Now he's driving the Shark and I told him its his a$$ if he wrecks it.

Well then, was I just lucky, or can some handle it? Maybe it's from the influence of this club, and I don't doubt that the Kid did a bit of street racing, but we helped him get the 2000 Mustang GT when he was I think 18? Everyone told us too much power for a kid (even ponyfreak much to my surprise), but he only ever got one ticket on the highway and no accidents. I guess he learned enough from the meets to know the real racing is done at the track.

Well then, was I just lucky, or can some handle it? Maybe it's from the influence of this club, and I don't doubt that the Kid did a bit of street racing, but we helped him get the 2000 Mustang GT when he was I think 18? Everyone told us too much power for a kid (even ponyfreak much to my surprise), but he only ever got one ticket on the highway and no accidents. I guess he learned enough from the meets to know the real racing is done at the track.

Some kids are more mature than their age would lead you to believe. I for one am sometimes amazed I survived my younger years, and I'm sure many others reflect upon their past the same.

As for the roadside memorials, I've often felt there should be a state sanctioned roadside memorial marker for traffic fatalities. It would certainly put perspective on dangerous intersections and the like - imagine pulling up to a 4-way stop and seeing dozens of memorial markers on the shoulder of the roadway. :eek:

Let me be clear -- nobody deserves death, but I for one am relieved that there weren't any innocent victims. I'll never understand how and why kids are so stupid with such a false sense of invincibility.

That telephone pole could have been another car, so as Jamie said, I feel sorry for the parents, but it's difficult to muster up sympathy for a couple of morons who put not only their own lives in danger, but the lives of everyone else in their path as well.

There's a reason insurance companies penalize those under 25 in high performance cars... because they're (noting that there are of course exceptions) -- inexperienced and more likely to have an accident in such cars. The registered owner of that Vette needs their head smacked against a pole a time or ten.

There's a reason insurance companies penalize those under 25 in high performance cars... because they're (noting that there are of course exceptions) -- inexperienced and more likely to have an accident in such cars.

Back in my home country, it is almost impossible to get insured on a performance car like a Corvette, under the age of 25, regardless of how much you can afford.
Heck, i had to wait until 21 to get insurance on a 90' BMW 735 - and even then, most companies wouldn't touch me and the annual premium was the equivalent of 4000 dollars!

What boggles my mind is this: In the USA you are not considered responsible enough to drink until 21, yet you can (among other things) be responsible for a very powerful vehicle. Strange...

I'm 17 and I have a 97 Mark and I have never raced it at all, when I have a friend in the car they always complain that I drive to slow. I drive just right above or at the speed limit. Never try to speed up to beat a red light, wear a seat belt. These imports always try to get along side of me and want to race, I don't even bother. I can probably handle a fast car, not race it but drive it.

Thats good to hear man....thats how I was too! I'm 28 now, and get paid to drive like a bat out of hell, but my car has niftly lights, haha.

Hmm I had a Mark VIII since I was 16... and I have to say at points i wish I didn't. It was way too much power for an inexperienced driver to handle...

Back