new project, honda RC51 crashed

jamies98lsc

Registered
my buddy just picked up a 2000 honda RC51, its also known as an RVT-1000-R. these things are big bucks but he stole this for 2,500 because it was layed down on the right side causing quite a bit of damage. the previous owner bought a new frame due to breaking the old one and swapped everything over. he did some very poor crude repairs to the plastics. i stripped the entire thing and fixed all the broken fiberglass and plastics and pulled and fixed a gas tank that my buddy was ready to throw away. of course i spent a ton of time on the gas tank and saved it. i repainted the bike jet black like it came, but i mixed a very tiny bit of royal violet pearl in the clear. in some pics the bike looks metallic blue, but in person it still appears jet black, it came out awesome way better looking that i hoped for. we are currently putting it back together and changing the oil before i put the bottom faring back on. he had a smile from ear to ear the paint looks so wild on it. now because of this, i got another job fixing another gas tank on another street bike and the owner of this bike has a friend with an 8 second 80 malibu race car that is coming to my shop for a paint job, its all primed and body work is done and all i have to do is tape and paint, its a rolling chassis right now so its going to be cake! check out the bike so far.

mattsbike001.jpg

mattsbike004.jpg

mattsbike006.jpg

mattsbike007.jpg

mattsbike010.jpg

mattsbike035.jpg

mattsbike037.jpg

mattsbike045.jpg

mattsbike047.jpg

mattsbike048.jpg

mattsbike059.jpg

mattsbike068.jpg

mattsbike062.jpg

i'll have more pics tonight with the bike almost back together, they are on my other cam at the shop. i think i should just keep painting stuff!!!!!

Sweet color. Looks like the BMW Carbon black which is my fav color ever!!!

Sweet bike also. Maybe you should just open up a body shop jamie. You got some good skills already.

i know right lol. the best part is his buddies all have newer bikes with tons of money into them and he has a budget bike that they picked apart because it looked so bad now they are gonna drop jaws when they see it. i'll have better pics up later it really looks sick.

do you get alot of dirt in the clear? Im just wondering because some garage shops can be pretty bad. Sometimes you can get lucky though.

do you get alot of dirt in the clear? Im just wondering because some garage shops can be pretty bad. Sometimes you can get lucky though.

Maybe thats why he through in the sparkles? :D Hehe, j/k!

no there is no dirt or dust at all, just typical orange peel which i will wet sand and buff once we get it back together. most likely this weekend i will wet sand and buff it all. i wet my floor when i paint, then blow the dust out with fans, then wet the floor again then wipe everything down with prep-all and tack cloth it all and shoot while the floor is still soaked. we were both gonna work on it more tonight and change the oil and what not but both of us were exhausted from being there from 8 am yesterday to 3 am this morning so we'll finish tomorrow. it doesnt have a salvage title, the new frame came with a new title and the original title is still clear, so he has both titles and paper work to prove its still the same bike, no problems there. here are a few more shots from today partially reassembled. we are going to change the wind screen also to a smoked clear because someone painted the current one black from the backside. once its wet sanded and buffed it will also have a white number plate in the front and on the rear fender like the race bikes, it will look just like the racing version of the RC-51's. as soon as fay gets the hell out of our state and the sun comes back out i'm dieing to see this thing outside.
mattsbike124.jpg

mattsbike125.jpg

mattsbike121.jpg

mattsbike123.jpg

mattsbike119.jpg

mattsbike116.jpg

mattsbike117.jpg

well its 99% done, only thing left is the white number plates on the rear fender, the front one is done, this is a replica endurance bike look, its what the owner wanted, i'm not huge on the white, but its not mine so who cares!! its all wet sanded and buffed and looks mint. we put brand new mirrors back on too, didnt have any on it when he bought it. i call the color midnight black pearl, sounds good lol!

mattsbike005.jpg

mattsbike009.jpg

mattsbike006-1.jpg

mattsbike012.jpg

mattsbike014-1.jpg

i still cant get over the tank look at the before and after:
huge dent
mattsbike007.jpg

no dent!
mattsbike005.jpg

Last edited:
you ever just want to punch someone in the face for touching something they shouldnt have. so last night i think its done, all wet sanded buffed and looking sweet. today, he wanted to put vinyl on the back fender to replicate the number plates, but the vinyl shop a few doors down was closed and the piece he had wasnt big enough to make it follow the fender right, so i said why dont i just paint the white on instead, plus you are gonna get tons of bubbles in the vinyl, so he says ok. well i taped it all off with 1/8 masking tape making a mirror image on both sides of the rear fender. then i put the cover on the back that hides the hole for the rear seat when you take it off, this is where i get mad. i taped off matching stripes on this said cover, shoot the white paint on it and before i know it, he pulls the tape off while i am unmasking the back fender and the white paint on the cover lifts off as he pulls the tape. OMG you have to be kidding me. so now i'm ripping pissed and throw the cover down on the table and say now i have to do the whole cover over, just leave it. well in the meantime i take the rear fender and wetsand the whole thing again to reclear it with the new white panels on it and he sticks a piece of white take over the part that lifted and tells me to clear it, i look at it and in disgust i clear over it, then i tell him now you can really leave it because im not letting anyone know i did that. i said you have a sick paint job on this thing now, i have crazy hours of work into this thing now and i am supposed to let that piece slide? B.S no way. so now the piece is home with me so it can dry over night so tomorrow i can get that crap off and do it right like i wanted to in the first place. he knows i am royally pissed now and i closed the shop and left i am so upset this happened and for no reason too. this is why when i am working on something for a friend or not, get the hell out of my shop and let me do it and come back when i tell you its done. sometimes helping someone out actually screws them in the end, i didnt want help, but he is a good friend and i like hanging out with him but this just totally killed my proud feeling of the whole job. so now, instead of being lazy tomorrow and having one day to myself now i have to go back and fix his crap. once again i have to fix something for someone that wouldnt have to be fixed had it been left alone, this is why i hate knowing how to do so many things because i'm always bailing people out and for what, lunch money? after i fix this thing and wet sand and buff the back fender i told him i never want to see this damn bike again, he ruined it for me, i loved it and the paint job until today, even though i will have it fixed tomorrow its still in my head what happened and i'm still gonna be pissed. oh well, just another day in my life!

here is the finished rear fender, i painted this on it, but the white in the front around the left headlight is vinyl, the missing cover is drying thats why there is an open square hole in the top of the back fender, to match the front, after i painted the white on and re-cleared it and wet sanded it all smooth, i put a matching 1/8 inch silver pinstripe around the two colors like the front end. i think it turned out pretty slick, i didnt like the white in the front, but now since i did the rear i like it. i wouldnt have done this to my fancy black paint job, but its what the owner wanted so ...
the back may look a little crooked the rear fender section isnt bolted on yet its just sitting on the back of the bike. tomorrow i can say goodbye to this, then we are taking a ride to go look at the 1980 drag malibu i am painting next week, uhggggg no breaks no breaks lol.

mattsbike034.jpg

mattsbike047.jpg

mattsbike048.jpg

mattsbike049.jpg

mattsbike036.jpg

mattsbike041.jpg

mattsbike038.jpg

Sweet Jamie. I hope this guy is paying you well for this. You put a lot of heart and hard labor into this.

we wont talk about the money, it was a joke, never again, this kind of job is the biggest reason why i am an a**hole to everyone and why jesse wonders why i never smile. he is a friend so of course i am gonna hook him up but this job was a total waste of time for me. i did get two jobs out of it but i am not being mr nice guy on the next two jobs i am sick of putting so much heart and soul into things that dont belong to me. this job came out really awesome for an amature but i should have been paid like a pro for the finished product. he said he feels bad about what happened with the tail cover and said he's gonna give me some extra money for the time it took to correct it, we'll see! anyway, its done, it left the shop today, now i can put in my new water pump and timing belt on the caddy before i hand it off to the wife. i figured do it now and have peace of mind that its done, one less thing to worry about for awhile!

Back