ABS Problem?

93LINCMK8

Registered
My brakes have been acting like the ABS is wiggin' out. It feels like the ABS actuates when slowing down at lights. I cleaned the sprocket for the sensors on the front wheels and replaced the pads. The rotors looked fine. Could the sensors be bad or is it the booster? The pedal goes further than it should I think. If I pump they firm up some.

ABS sensors or hard component?

When my front sensor failed my brakes would feel like ABS is engaging 80% of the time even under light braking... you need to have the codes read. Although I am not sure if a gen 1 has the same system as a gen 2... I am pretty sure there is an ABS specific plug in the engine compartment of a gen 1.

My gen 2 threw a check tractioncontrol/abs light and I had to take it in to diagnose what sensor failed. A regular obd1/2 scanner won't pick em up.

Chances are a sensor went bad. You're in luck since the gen 1 sensors are cheap and easy to come by, as opposed to gen 2 specifically the 98 model... ugh!!

You should probably disconnect the abs (pull the pump fuse) my problem increased my stopping distance 10 fold and almost overheated my ABS pump.

I took out the ABS fuse and the brakes work alot better.

My Haynes book said something about having to bleed the ABS system seperate from the actual brake system. It takes a special computer, not the standard code reader? I guess it's a job for the dealer. Of course they will suggest replacing everything probably.

I took out the ABS fuse and the brakes work alot better.

My Haynes book said something about having to bleed the ABS system seperate from the actual brake system. It takes a special computer, not the standard code reader? I guess it's a job for the dealer. Of course they will suggest replacing everything probably.

In my 2nd post I already told you that you need a special scaner. A lot of indy shops have them also just call around. I paid about $50 to have them checked. Local dealers here charge $120+ for anything like this.

most likely you have a bad sensor, and yes there are two in the rear, one on each side of the differential case. unless someone opened your abs pump, dont think of bleeding it, thats not the problem you shouldnt ever have to bleed it unless its been replaced or someone messed with it. since your brakes are working better with the fuse out for the pump, its either a bad sensor(s) or the pump's brain is on its way out.

I still feel a little grinding when I apply the brakes. The pedal is also a little soft. I checked and the fluid level is good.

If the brain of the pump goes is there something to replace other than pump itself?

if the brain goes you may be able to pull another brain off a junk yard mark, or just find a whole pump, i might have one but i think we sold it already, i used to have tons of them but my stash is running low on alot of stuff sold so much crap lately.

Back