When did the Mark VIII's start talking?

ussnewco

Registered
I had been having an issue with the low coolant level warning, then the car overheated, i followed the directions for filling from the crossover and had not had a low coolant warning for quite some time. that is until I has the local dealership change the oil filter adapter gasket, thinking mayby a greenhorn improperly filled the radiator after service I once again fille from the crossover but I'm still plaqued with the warning, this is where is gets interesting this morning the car says "your water temperature is 99.9 degrees" ins a female voice then I got the low coolant warning.
Yesterday it ran hot and I had to refill from the crossover, I've searched high and low and can not find any signs of water loss, once I saw some antifreeze on the reservoir but there was very little I did not smell anything when I was driving. I have checked the oil and thank god there's no water there.
So what's up with the talking and where could the water be going?
TIA

Dreams of his prostate exam? lol!

I didn't know the M8's talked....crazy! Maybe it was your GPS telling you the temp outside? :eek:

If the resevoir was ran dry, the low coolant temp sender can "stick" in the empty position. If there is indeed coolant in the resevoir, bang on the top of it with your hand a couple of times, this will jar it loose and it should float to the top. :)

Jokes aside, if you had an integrated factory phone system, it would talk. it would say "Name Please" as a prompt for the voice-activated dialing.

I wonder if anyone has ever replaced the factory analog phone with modern phone, and integrated it with the sound system and built-in mic...

I know it sounds flakey and it kinda freaked me out, dont have GPS or intergated phone and if I'm going to have a psychic moment why waste on water temp?! Lotto #'s would be really usefully

I'm willing to accept the voice came from another source, so check this out. Running errands Friday I get the loo coolant warning, I'd been waiting for thisand wanted to check the reservoir when it came on next, but I was in traffic and could not pull over and pop the hoos to check it, by the time I can the warning is gone so I continue home. As soon as I pu the car in park the warning comes on so I pop the hood jump out and the reservoir, it's over flowing but just a little bit. The last time I filled the cooling system I noticed it had good water circulation and the car never got hot. Do you think I have a blockage or maybe the reservoir cap is letting go too soon or something els all together?

I reread your first post and I see you ARE filling at the crossover pipe..... When I refilled my '97, I had to keep topping it off (at the crossover pipe) about 3 times before it was really full.... Running it low will make it overheat and overflow thru the overflow tank. Once you fill it, leave the top off the crossover and let it get to operating temp and keep filling until the overflow tank reads "FULL HOT".

I'll do that again,it's just odd that everything was fine before the local dealer change the oil filter adpter gasket but I don't see what they could've done to muck it up other than improper filling, the gasket isn't sealed so no goop to to get into the system?

Are you running the heater set to max and waiting for warm air before sealing up the crossover tube? Your description sure sounds like a classic case of trapped air.

I also let the car get up to operating temp afterwards then shut it down and let it cool to ambient temperature. THEN I top off the system at the coolant reservoir. It will almost invariably need to be topped off because as the engine cools, the coolant is drawn from the reservoir into the cooling system.

When the dealer replaced the oil cooler adapter gasket, did they change the thermostat?

One more thing... for the cost, it would be worth it to install a new cap on the coolant reservoir just to make sure you aren't chasing a ghost.

Ok, I had the same problem. I had my adapter gasket replaced and it almost immediately overheated. Heres what we did....(I appologize for the lack of correct mechanical terms) Once the adapter was changed, it overheated on me that night. come to find out, the coolant wasn't full enough.....pouring it in the radiator wasnt working. there is a "pipe" near the front of the engine that we has a removable "cap" maybe the size of a quarter. we (my brother, the mustang genius) unscrewed that cap and added more coolant in there. (giving it time to let the air escape) once no more air bubbled up, he replaced the cap and it's been fine every since. My money says this is what you need to do. Hope it helps

there is a "pipe" near the front of the engine that we has a removable "cap" maybe the size of a quarter.

Lol, called the Crossover Tube, which he said is the location he's been filling it, in the FIRST post! haha

Back