Rear shocks

93LINCMK8

Registered
What exactly is the gadget in the trunk on top of the rear shocks. The upper bushings on my shocks are shot. How hard are they to change?

the gadget was discontinued after 94 it was supposed to prevent your car from nose diving during heavy brake appliactions. They are pretty much useless and you can leave them disconnected.

Whatever you do, don't get Monroe sensa(craps) shocks. They will last 30k miles.

Get a quality name brand replacement. anything that works for a T bird works for a Mark VIII.

Oh and a rear shock change should take about 30 min to 1 hr depending on skill level. It is about as hard as changing your oil.

Whatever you do, don't get Monroe sensa(craps) shocks. They will last 30k miles.

+1
I bought these less than 5000 miles ago. Last weekend while I was doing some extra work to the rear end I compressed the shocks and they stayed that way. GARBAGE!!!

+1
I bought these less than 5000 miles ago. Last weekend while I was doing some extra work to the rear end I compressed the shocks and they stayed that way. GARBAGE!!!

Unfortunatly I learned the hard way. factory shocks last 100K+ miles I had to toss these from my crown vic after 35k and they were worse than the factory shocks at 130k.

So, do the OEM replacements come with the gadget? Do the sensa-tracs adjust like the factory ones, I mean, will the gadget be useless with the sensa-tracs?

Do I need to get the factory shocks for the system to work as it should?

So, do the OEM replacements come with the gadget? Do the sensa-tracs adjust like the factory ones, I mean, will the gadget be useless with the sensa-tracs?

Do I need to get the factory shocks for the system to work as it should?

I don't think ford even sells those things anymore. And no it won't work the same way. I think the replacement cost for a 93-94 shock was like 170$ per or so.

I wouldn't worry about retaining that system. Just get a nice set of tokico shocks or similar.

OK, so if I disconnect them, will I get a check suspension message?

Where would I get Tokico shocks? I've never heard of them.

OK, so if I disconnect them, will I get a check suspension message?

Where would I get Tokico shocks? I've never heard of them.

No you won't get a check suspension message.

Tokico makes really good shocks but I think you have to look for the rear model # for the tbird.

But I actually messed up I got KYB Gas-Adjust for the crown vic. They come highly recommended as a bit firmer good quality replacements for the crown vic. I don't think they make one that fits the mark :(.

KYB does make this one for the T birds "KYB Part # 344110 {GR-2}
Rear; Exc. Adjustable Suspension" they are only $25 each on rockauto but I am pretty sure that they are worse than the gas-adjusts that i got for the crown vic.

They also have MOTORCRAFT Part # ASHV1014 {#5U2Z18V125VG}
w/Standard Duty Suspension; 2 required per vehicle; Rear for $29.00 each which would be your best bet.

With some more looking I think my problem is the upper mount and not the shock itself. I don't know how to tell if the shock is bad but the rubber being split is definitely the mount. $50 per side at the Ford dealer for the replacement kit.

How likely is it that the shocks are shot?

Open the trunk and push down the back of the car. If it rebounds more than 1-1 1/2 times, the shocks are worn.

Open the trunk and push down the back of the car. If it rebounds more than 1-1 1/2 times, the shocks are worn.

This test doesn't work for the Marks because the air springs have some of their own inherent shock absorbtion.

The only way to know if a shock needs replacement is to check your odomoeter. If it reads over 75K miles, change them.

For no more than it takes to remove them, the best test is to remove the shock and test it manually.

Well I just tried to change the rear upper shock mounts but the inner sleeve of the bushing won't come off the shock so I had to go buy some non-ARC shocks from the parts store. The replacement mount kit for one side costs as much as both shocks.

I'll put them on tomorrow and see what difference it made.

You BURN it off.... if you had searched for instructions, there are pictures. As you bought already, too late.

They were cheap. I can always burn the sleeves off later and put them back on if they are still good. I'm not sure though, they are pretty easy to compress by hand.

Back