So....where did they Driveshaft "myth" start?

merkurs are also notorious for driveshaft vibrations. it was a true two piece hanger bearing and all the fix for them is have a one piece driveshaft built. ford even advertised the two piece "quieter and smoother " in the sales packet! they also like to warp rotors(too #@** small for the weight of the car!!!) my guess is some engineer was trying to save the company a buck and we end up paying for it!!!

You will need to take a course in ME and machine design. My understanding that that the Mark is speed limited due to the critical speed of the drive shaft because of the inherit vibration due to the design. It is a function of a lot of things, diameter, material, length.
Look at your review mirror at high way speeds, it will show vibration if you have it. Even with the MMX I still get some.

the critical speed effects the shaft more because it isn't "connected" at the base of the shaft which kinda gives it that pendulum effect where it wobbles like a spinning top.

i think that the biggest problem is the 2 peice shaft has more joints, which means more slop when they wear, which means more vibration. so the 1 peice has less joints, less slop when worn, less vibration.

Thats what I previously explained up there. ^^^^

i really need to look at one :D

more moving parts = more chance for slop.

Exactly. Here's a picture. Its a common mistake to think "2 piece" means two shafts and 3-4 u-joints.

Both TWO piece. Notice the notch on the bottom, that is where the inner shaft goes inside the outer shaft, which is insulated with rubber. Big shaft + small inner shaft = 2 piece shaft.
Bobs017.jpg

Bobs018.jpg

Here is the bottom of a 1 piece.
116835864197.jpg

hahaha don't tell your wife!

Lol!

interesting stuff. but what exactly makes the vibration in our chassis more pronounced?

the unibody is VERY flexible, that is one reason!

I would like to think that the unibody has little to do with the vibration. The driveshaft vibration resonates through the hard points of the subframes, then the mounts, and THEN into the unibody. The shaft if causing the vibration but by the time it reaches the body its already at its maximum vibration so to speak.

I think a lot of the vibration is transmitted to the passenger compartment because of the independent rear suspension. On almost ALL the straight axle vehicle you won't feel the vibration unless a joint is toasted. I think thats the inherent problem with our cars, the IRS.

First I've heard of this vibration. Drove wifes Mark on the highway a few times and never felt even a hint of vibration. Guess I freigin' "RULE". :D

You're lucky. Take it up to 100 and see if you get it.

my modifed suspension miata had no driveline vibration at all, well before i put in the solid motor mounts :D

Smaller shaft, WAY shorter shaft.

My understanding that that the Mark is speed limited due to the critical speed of the drive shaft because of the inherit vibration due to the design. It is a function of a lot of things, diameter, material, length.
Look at your review mirror at high way speeds, it will show vibration if you have it. Even with the MMX I still get some.

You are right, that is exactly the way our cars are governed. Max still had Vibs with his $400 MMX shaft.

Funny a guy called "J" gave us the info that another guy called "J" is questioning.

The Original J used to give us alot of great information before people who didn't know what they were talking about wanted to "argue" with him or ask him to "post dyno sheets" to "PROVE" his information is valid.

The original "J" doesnt post on public message boards any longer

merkurs are also notorious for driveshaft vibrations!!!

that thing in the front of the shaft where a "u joint" would be is a very uncool thing to have in your driveline.
(lol)
cant remember the "marekoor" name for it.

but I do like the merkur's overall, cool little pocket rockets!

I think you guys have covered it all, but I'll add this anyway. I put a 93 shaft into my 98 and the vibration was gone up to about 90mph. Of course at the same time I had 4 new tires put on and a alignment done. That was 45,000 miles ago and time for new tires. The vibration is back possibly worse than before. It is alot of things on these cars that cause it.
I'll let everyone know when I get the tires how it rides, but I'm waiting for some major rain. I'm going to milk every mile out of them.

Funny a guy called "J" gave us the info that another guy called "J" is questioning.

I'm not questioning the info, per say, I'm just wondering where it all came about. If Jeremi put it out, I would tend to believe it makes more sense. But still, it doesn't justify everyone jumping on the band wagon and hitting up people to jump straight to buying a new shaft. :)

The Original J used to give us alot of great information before people who didn't know what they were talking about wanted to "argue" with him or ask him to "post dyno sheets" to "PROVE" his information is valid.

So are you saying that this is what I'm doing?

Last edited:
Lol, thats good to hear, both the no vibrations and you're not speeding around all over the place. :D

I'm not questioning the info, per say, I'm just wondering where it all came about. If Jeremi put it out, I would tend to believe it makes more sense. But still, it doesn't justify everyone jumping on the band wagon and hitting up people to jump straight to buying a new shaft. :)

So are you saying that this is what I'm doing?

it wasn't Jeremi, it was Jerry the Jmod guy.

and no I'm not saying that is what you are doing "on purpose" but that is what happened literally everytime Jerry tried to help someone.

Some nitwit that thought they were "skooled" thought they could match wits with the "best in the business"...
he spent more time trying to explain WHY he knows what he does rather than helping people.

nah I wasn't taking a POT SHOT at you, but it is also alooooog way until 420.. so try not to take what I say "too literal"...LMAO

the two peice shafts on their best day are living on borrowed time....

in my 95 the two peice shaft got very bad at about 250K miles...
putting a 93 one peice shaft gave me seamless vibration free accerleration up to 140+
unlike the stock shaft that rattled my rear view at 80.

it wasn't Jeremi, it was Jerry the Jmod guy.

nah I wasn't taking a POT SHOT at you, but it is also alooooog way until 420.. so try not to take what I say "too literal"...LMAO

Ohhhh...ya, he definitally knew his stuff and had the resourses to test and back all his information. What ever happend to him, is he still around (alive?)?

Lol, I sooo looked at the time you posted that too, lmao!

the two peice shafts on their best day are living on borrowed time....

in my 95 the two peice shaft got very bad at about 250K miles...

Your idea of borrowed time is 250K miles!!!!??? I think even a one piece shaft would vibrate with that amount of miles, haha. I say you got your money's worth.

Back