Engine turns over doesn't start :-(

George B

Registered
Help, the engine turns over (strong) but will not start. I was stranded for the second time today...the first time was 3 weeks ago. The quick fix the first time was to spray starter fluid into the air intake and the engine started right up. Today the quick fix didn't work and changing the battery (in case of a dead cell) didn't change anything. Any ideas????

Welcome! :)

The quick fix the first time was to spray starter fluid into the air intake and the engine started right up.

PLEASE put the starter fluid down and step away from the car! :eek:

2 things - cam sensor and/or crank sensor.

#1 - unplug the crank sensor down by the AC compressor and plug it back in and try to start the car.

Chances are it will start.

The crank sensor controls spark. Crank all you want and the car will not start with no crank sensor output. The cam sensor controls fuel injector timing. It is only necessary to start the car - once running, the cam sensor signal does not need to be there.

Either a sensor is intermittently bad or the harness connection to the sensor is bad. Ususally unplugging and cleaning the crank sensor harness pinned connection is good enough to get a signal again. A bad harness on the cam sensor can be intermittent, but it is usually because of a broken connection in the harness plug itself - not the actual pin connection.

Some people change both sensors to be certain. Changing the crank sensor involves unbolting but not removing the AC compressor to get enough room to get the sensor out. The cam sensor is located behind the power steering reservoir. Again, just unbolting but not removing the reservoir gives you adequate access.

Good luck! :D

Check the Fuel Pressure.

Unscrew the black cap and screw a fuel pressure gauge.
I dont know what the pressure should be.

FuelPressure.jpg

FuelPressure2.jpg

Thanks a bunch...yesterday I cleaned up 2 things - cam sensor and or crank sensor,
as Hooker had suggested and the car started right up. Hopefully that was the answer, but will still look into the fuel pressure. Odd thing however...the fuel range in the control center is now reading 432 miles till empty...it should be closer to 289 miles...do you think that means anything?

Hooker it worked :) Thanks a bunch...yesterday I cleaned up the 2 things as you suggested, however the fuel range in the control center is now reading 432 miles till empty...it should be closer to 289 miles...do you think that means anything?

Hooker??? :confused:

:lolgrin003:

Glad you got it working. :D

I wouldn't sweat the miles to empty - it will correct itself over time. Did you disconnect the battery?

Ooops... sorry "Driller" about the mixup. Yes, I disconnected the battery before posting my plea for help, it had been suggested that perhaps there was a bad cell in the battery. I tried a new battery and had no luck...hence the help of your suggestions.

Thanks again for your responses.
George B

Ooops... sorry "Driller" about the mixup. Yes, I disconnected the battery before posting my plea for help, it had been suggested that perhaps there was a bad cell in the battery. I tried a new battery and had no luck...hence the help of your suggestions.

No problem, I've certainly been called a lot worse. ;)

With the battery disconnected, you lost the previous mpg history and the MC recalculated from a default value. Nothing that won't shortly correct itself.

Back