Trip to Chicago

BadSax

enjoys 3 martini lunches
Ok, so I actually forgot to write down the milage and I just don't feel like walking out to the car to check...

Left Cape Cod @ 11:15AM EST
RI boarder 12:05PM EST gotta love a state you can cross in 35 min.
CT boarder 12:40PM EST
NY boarder 2:10PM EST
NJ boarder 2:40PM EST
PA boarder 3:40PM EST
OH boarder 8:05PM EST
IN boarder 11:30PM EST
IL boarder - I never actually figured out when I crossed over
Sweet "Trixie's" Home Chicago 2:30 AM EST 1:30 AM CST

ok, a few notes about my journey... if you live in PA I'm sorry, but I just hate your state... As a chunk of earth, I feel malice towards it. The first 100 miles of PA were fine... I followed some people from NJ in a big S class Benz who were doing a pretty consistent 80-85... but then the snow started, and they just couldn't deal with it... so after about 100 more miles I'm the one car still on cruise doing 75 while everyone else is driving at 40 with their hazard lights on. (is that a state law or something?) And then came the hill/mountain... it was an ascent, and slanting heavily to the right, as the road also was turning to the right... as I came up on this incline, all traffic was completely stopped. Well, perhaps not stopped, but more like half crawling, half sliding sideways. I blame this less on the snow, but the ice the snow became. The kind of ice where if you looked cross eyed at your gas pedal you immediately lost traction. So after a few big trucks became completely stuck, and cars were sliding sideways from the left lane to the right lane to the break down lane, I figured this was enough of this... I forced the big daddy caddy off the hi way on the left side, and drove through the snow on the grass the rest of the way up the long a$$ hill. So I know that of all the cars there, I made it over the hill as did some one in an Accord who followed my lead and 4 wheeled it over the grass... In Mass we have these big like dump trucks that they fill with some sort of sand/salt combination and then they spread it on the roads when it snows... I'm sure this would also work on PA roads, just a thought... On a positive note, I didn't see a single pot hole on I-80 so congratulations on that, because in previous trip across PA I cracked a rim from the potholes, but I know one step at a time. :D

Oddly my PA experience caused me to for the first time ever feel thankful for being in OH... and I now look forward to JP's tour of the other OH that looks completely different from the part I drove across... :D

IN, I'm sorry to say, your state smells bad, I don't know what it was, it was dark out, but it was foul...

IL, you're really the land of Toll Booths... and marking the prices of the tolls ahead of time would be nice... BTW someone is going to have to explain to me how the "self service" tolls work... :D

Anyway the car recorded a total average speed of 70.5 mph door to door.

Oh, and the craziest ice formed on the sides of the car, I took some pics I'll post tomorrow along with the actual mileage.

So who's going to come out and party with Sharon and Mike and John and I? :D :D :D

:D -J

After all that, somebody better show up!

"BORDER" is how I was taught to spell. Tsk, tsk, teach... :D

Maybe I meant they were all very uneventful crossings... :D

Maybe I was tired and there had been three to four hours of post driving drinking... :D

I leave it to you to decide... :D

We are having fun already! It's so good to see Joe, and I can't believe what incredible time he made getting here! We all stayed up (or woke up as the case may be) to party for a few hours or so last night. :)

Here are my weird ice pics... thank you PA... :D

2174914720039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

2487001080039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

2343721580039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

2165888000039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

2959419760039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

2981791550039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh, and my car had it's 30K birthday on the way :D

If you want to see the full size versions,
http://community.webshots.com/album/570107528eHWxWu

... As a chunk of earth, I feel malice towards it...

:lolgrin003: OK wait... actually I'm not sure which is funnier... that line (which I will steal and use many times in the coming months) or the fact that our teacher friend here can't spell B-O-R-D-E-R!!

So for those who care, door to door milage from my house on Cape Cod, to Sharon's house in Chicago... 1067.9, total time 14hrs 15min...

Now, I'm not math teacher... (and as I've proven, no English teacher either... :D )

But I'm pretty sure that makes an average speed of 70.03mph?

So for those who care, door to door milage from my house on Cape Cod, to Sharon's house in Chicago... 1067.9, total time 14hrs 15min...

Now, I'm not math teacher... (and as I've proven, no English teacher either... :D )

Put the beer down and step away from the calculator! :fart

Put the beer down and step away from the calculator! :fart

LMAO!! Miles per hour. Does that help?

Wait! How long has the beer been down? LOL!

EDIT: I see!!! You used 15.25 hours not 14.25 in your calculation. LOL!!

Last edited:
Yeah, the 14 was a typo, the time was 15:15...

Left CC @ 11:15AM
Arrived Chicago @ 2:30AM next day

sorry... :D

Ok, so I just got into NYC for the night (sorry Steve, I would have called if I'd gotten here earlier) I'll do some pic hunting tomorrow when I'm home.

My trip back from Chicago took a little detour to driller's in WV which was awesome!

A big thanks for Mike and Sharon and John in Chicago for letting me sleep on their couch, and another big thanks to JP and Tammie and John and Justin and Jess in Morgantown, for letting me also... sleep on their couch... :D

I've had a great week!

Oh, and if you are from PA, and you drive a 2nd Gen MK8 with PA tags "TBRDNUT" and there was some completely filthy black Cadillac stalking you down the hi way for miles...

sorry... :D

...My trip back from Chicago took a little detour to driller's in WV which was awesome!...

Chicago to Cape Cod by way of West Virginia... just a little detour? So now not only can't our token teacher not spell, he must have flunked geography! :fart

Back