Changing the valve cover gaskets

shospeed

Registered
to change them on a 97 mak8 do i need to take off the brake buster?
or is there another way to get that cover out?

you can unbolt just the master cylinder from the booster and move it over a tiny bit. i got mine off in my 98 without unbolting motor mounts or anything except the master cylinder.

I struggled with my 97 for hours until I unbolted the motor mount and jacked up that side, then it came right out. Also had to move the MC and left the booster in place.

Well i changed the gaskets today and that lifting the motor by the cats work perfect ( I just coudnt un-bolt the motor mounts too hard) but I still lifted it like that and it moved enought for the job.
thanks guys !!!!!!

bUT i'M SAD TO INFORM YA'LL THAT MY PROBLEM IS TILL THERE !!!!!
I have a major oil leak by the iol filter but i can't figer out were is coming from.
I'm thinking it might be from the piece that holds the oil filter or so. How hard is it to change that gasket?

has anybody ran into this problem?

I'm thinking it might be from the piece that holds the oil filter or so. How hard is it to change that gasket?

Lots of people have had this problem. Search for oil filter adapter gasket.

It's a DIY job but a bit of a PITA.

driller is right.it sounds like an adapter gasket failed.it s not too bad though. had the same problem with my cobra.

What are you talking about? :confused:

Well i changed the gaskets today and that lifting the motor by the cats work perfect ( I just couldn't un-bolt the motor mounts too hard) but I still lifted it like that and it moved enough for the job.)
thanks guys !!!!!!

The highlighted statement you made just made me think that the rubber mount is seperated allowing you to move it like you did. To check it, have someone apply the emergency brake and hold the footbrake while in gear....apply some gas and see if the engine lifts up. Next do same thing in reverse and watch the engine for excess movement also. Our motor mounts are known for failing with high milage.

Well i fix the problem today !!
That think LOOKS allot more complicated then it actually is !! :fart
Thanks allot guys for all the help !!;)

Back