MMC Driveshaft

Ok everybody, my next mod should be 3.73's and traction - lok (what should I pay for the traction - lok? I've seen wildly disparate prices from $250 to $450, could they possibly be the same unit?) My, question is, do I really need this expensive one piece driveshaft I've heard referenced in the past? If so, where do I get it? If I do, there goes the gears and traction - lok money, I'll hafta buy that first.:mad: Can I at least install it right away? I mean, it should reduce rotating mass lik the FMS Mustang piece does?

Well, I went with 3.73's in part because I felt that there was a chance I'd get away with those with my driveshaft and I felt that with 4.10's I'd definitely need a new driveshaft.

I got a one piece driveshaft from a 93 from Ponyfreak and vibrations are less than they were before. I didn't realize I had a bad vibration (many of us do anyway), but now it's become apparent to me that I did and still do have some vibration issues (OK, I just thought the stupid rearview mirror was loose).

So basically -- do you have a vibration issue now? If yes, I'd say you definitely would want the driveshaft.

As for posi/trac lock whatever it's called for Fords, I have it but I don't remember what I have. And you know, I just realize I haven't tested it out as well as I should have. :)

I think RockAuto.com sells the Diff's to us for $209 or something like that, but remember you need a bearing kit too. Talk to Jamie, he might come across a one piece.

Just for your info, this upgrade will cost you atleast $500-800 to do it RIGHT.

I think RockAuto.com sells the Diff's to us for $209 or something like that, but remember you need a bearing kit too. Talk to Jamie, he might come across a one piece.

Just for your info, this upgrade will cost you atleast $500-800 to do it RIGHT.

$500-800? No way it is probably closer to 1-1.5k.

Gears -200
TL - 250
Bearing kit plus shims -120
Driveshaft $500
Install $300 or so.
$1370.

$500-800? No way it is probably closer to 1-1.5k.

Gears -200
TL - 250
Bearing kit plus shims -120
Driveshaft $500
Install $300 or so.
$1370.

OK, I went used.
Gears & TL $120.
93 Drive Shaft $90 (?)
Install $500. (maybe high according to Max)Edit: though I did have them install a deep trans pan and change the fluids.
Edit #2 I just looked it up I was charged $900, but some extra work was done. Over paid? probably yes, but I trust this mechanic to do the job right.

Last edited:
Wow you got gears and TL for $90 that is dirt cheap. I went with all new parts... hence the cost. And I got good prices on all new parts also. Obviously used units will create significant savings.

One thing I didn't add was chip/tune since the car will have to be re-calibrated for the new shift points.

If you need help with the install, let me know. I've been doing my own gears for years now. Got all the tools to do it right.

I've seen wildly disparate prices from $250 to $450, could they possibly be the same unit?)

Sounds like you may be seeing the difference between a Ford Traction-Lok and a Detroit True-Trac or other gear type limited slip differential.

The driveshaft may be a tossup with 3.73s if that's your choice of gear. With 4.10s or 4.30s, I can say it's just about guaranteed you'll need one. But as it has been said, you likely could benefit from one now but you just don't realize it. When I had the MMx driveshaft installed, I could not believe the significant difference - and I replaced the coveted one-piece '93 unit!

Oh ya....I was thinking about parts only and installing the diff myself.

Max's MMX shaft still had vibrations after we installed it. :eek:

Oh ya....I was thinking about parts only and installing the diff myself.

Max's MMX shaft still had vibrations after we installed it. :eek:

Yep, there were about the same as with the stock shaft. The mirror would get blurry at 80mph, but every single FN chassis car I have driven has this problem.

I don't think I have a vibration issue now (except a brake related one that comes on at about 80mph plus, when and only when, I hit the brakes). I have absolutely no idea how to install the gears and TL but I would love to learn. I am fortunate like that, uaually I can be shown a demonstration once, and after that I can do it myself. I have a X-cal 3 from Lonnie already (best $400 I ever spent on anything car - related) so recalibration of shift ponts shouldn't be an issue. I suppose I'll just buy the DS first as I don't want anymore vibration than the mysterious one I've already got. You guys say I can pick most of this stuff up used? Is that necessarily a good idea, I mean with all of the exacting tolerances in the rear and whatnot? DLF, if you are willing to do a tutorial, I'm definately in!

DLF, if you are willing to do a tutorial, I'm definately in!

$50 per hour, $100 if you want to watch, $150 if you want to help.... :D

Seriously, I'd be happy to do it, and show you how. You can give me whatever you think it's worth when we're done (maybe a HID bulb + cash? :)). Right now I have my SC on my lift, with the suspension completely apart, but by the time you've got all the parts together, I'm sure I'll be done, and we can set something up. It takes a fair number of special tools to do this, and I have them.

I would strongly recommend the driveshaft. I just bought one from Dennis Reinhart, drop-shipped to my door.

http://www.reinhartperformance.com/...de=12345&Product_Code=M8-MMDS&Category_Code=6

The page says MMC, but they're no longer available, and it's acutally 6061-T6 Aluminum.

In addition to a differential and gears, you'll also need to buy an installation kit, such as Ford M-4210-B ($90), and a side bearing and seal kit, Ford M-4413-A ($20).

As far as used parts, "you pays your money and takes your chances".

Personally, I only use new parts in rear ends, it's too much trouble to do twice.

As for a differential, you can either buy a Ford (or other brand) Trac-Lok M4204-F288 for about $220 (which will also require a 4 oz. bottle of friction modifier) or, my personal choice, a TrueTrac gear type differential p/n 912A562, which will never wear out, for around $400.

Ford 3.73 gears, M-4209-F373N, run around $150.

Regards

Last edited:
Gen 1s are still faster

155mph.jpg

Back