Damn....I just got NAILED!

J

OCCUPY LoD :)
I got hit with one of those "anti-virus" viruses/malware programs at about 2 PM. I was searching the net on WebCrawler and just went to a site, blocked the cookies, but this "Xp Police Virus" program got installed on my computer.

No biggie....blocked the cookie so I'll just "end the process" from the Task Manager and it will be good. NOT! The program disables your task manager. :eek:!

So....go to add/remove programs (knowing it wasn't going to be there) and sure enough, not there.

Go to IE to look it up on the net.....my internet was blocked and unless you click "fix the problem" (which I didn't do) I could not access the net from this computer.

Last but not least....I open my FREE spyware program, Spybot Search and Destroy (which was already installed) and run an update.

It downloads a ton of updates (new malware/virus/trojan entries) and I restart my computer.

After the restart, I run Spybot and it searches my computer for over 350,000 known virus entries. It takes about 50 minutes for it to run, in the mean time, the Xp Police Virus software has about 45 little error pop-ups on my screen telling me my computer is infected, malware found, click this, click that, etc. all on exact replicas of the Windows XP windows. (tried to copy and paste but it wouldn't let me open paint!)

Fast forward to now (did the dishes, took a shower, went to the store), Spybot found 9 entries in the registry from Xp Police Virus (XPPOLICE) which were to make it startup when you turn on your computer, disable Task Manager, block your TCIP, and change your home page, delete it from Add/Remove, and some other junk.

Clicked "Fix selected problems now" and here I am!

About 3 weeks ago, Cat was on my laptop, cruising around on MySpace and she got the "PowerBlaster Pro 9000 Virus Software" (or something, lol) pop-ups on her computer. They were exactly the same as this one but it still allowed the net (would just re-direct you from everywhere you went) and didn't block the Task Manager.

I got Macafee AV, and two other random pop-up blockers for free when I bought the laptop last year......IT DIDN'T DETECT ANYTHING. So....for all you people that pay for your anti-virus junk, here's more proof that you're getting ripped off.

I will stand by this program 100% as it has saved me over 5 times in the last 10 years. Its been free forever and its contantly updating its files so you'll be protected by the latest/greatest viruses/trojans/spam/pop-ups and everything!

Only download it from here because there are a ton of copy-cats that make you pay.

Seriously...download it now, because when you need it, you might not be able to get on the net!!!
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html?cdlPid=11000454

Here is the one that got me.....this is a blog telling how it effects your computer and all the responces of people that got hit.
http://www.precisesecurity.com/blogs/2009/01/27/xp-police-antivirus/

Last edited:
damn dude, quit visiting those illicit sites. You're pwn3ning it off on cat too :p

Ang the irony of the XP police virus on your comp!!! hahahha

Damn rotten police. hee hee.

I use AVG virus protection with ad-aware, and occasionally spy-bot, but I have problems with spybot removing too much stuff for my liking. So I'll run it if I have a problem, but then I do get rid of it.

I just got the old laptop cleaned up a couple weeks ago from some malware as well. It took several runs of Spybot to zero in and get rid of it. Several other programs and my anti-virus had failed to detect it and get rid of it. At its peak, it had over 450 instances of itself installed on the system!

Saw something where MS is offering like a $250K reward for info that leads to the person(s) who are responsible for the latest nasty worm.

We have Norton's, Spybot, and Ad-Aware.

Another program we really like is called C-Cleaner. (Stands for Crap Cleaner.) They offer a freebie and a pay version; it scans for temporary file junk, cookies, and registry errors. We really like it ;)

Somewhere I have a great pic of his digital display of affection for my iphone... :D

:D -J

Some of us just use :::cough::: a Mac... :D

X2 :)

madeonmac.gif

damn dude, quit visiting those illicit sites. You're pwn3ning it off on cat too :p

Ang the irony of the XP police virus on your comp!!! hahahha

I was only looking at Tara Conner, who is now on that MTV Show teaching a bunch of chicks manners. I do blame Cat for doing it to the laptop because she did, haha.

I did a double take at the name, but knew there was no way it could have been related.

Damn rotten police. hee hee.

Haha...ya!

I would have thought you would of just "Tazzed" it J. LOL

Well....we don't get to take the Tasers home so that beats that idea.

It took several runs of Spybot to zero in and get rid of it. At its peak, it had over 450 instances of itself installed on the system!

Damn!! 450! I see we have a lot of Spybot users, that is good!

Saw something where MS is offering like a $250K reward for info that leads to the person(s) who are responsible for the latest nasty worm.

If I only knew...I would pay a visit, then take him to MS's front door in handcuffs.

We have Norton's, Spybot, and Ad-Aware.

Another program we really like is called C-Cleaner. (Stands for Crap Cleaner.) They offer a freebie and a pay version; it scans for temporary file junk, cookies, and registry errors. We really like it ;)

Lol, C-Cleaner!? Spybot does all that too. :)

Some of us just use :::cough::: a Mac... :D

Mac's confuse me, haha! I think I've only used one a handfull of times.

best things to use are lavasoft's - Adaware, Spybot, and NOD32 by Eset as an AV. You will have a nice clean environment and NEVER EVER download anything from a popup or myspace that tells you to download it. I can fix remotely if you need help in the future

So you don't want one?

Personally I like Unix.

Don't need it...I don't have problems with adware/spamware/spyware/viruses with the way my system is setup.

I do get infected every couple years or so, but by then it's about time to reinstall Windows anyway.

It's amazing how much faster a computer runs with a fresh Windows install.

I get it. If you wanted a bulletproof OS, you'd install Linux, but instead you reinstall Windows every couple of years. ;) Vista?

Back