Coolant Smell?

TBarton

Registered
I got a 95 with about 127k on it when i shut it off last night i smelled antifreeze but did not think anything of it since i was parked next to my friends taurus, but today i went to the city and when i parked i could smell it so i opened the hood and the colant level was good and i did not see anything driping onto the ground, but could smell it still, that is about all i have looked into it so far when i got home i did not smell anything, so i though i would post to see if anybody had any ideas of where i could start to figure this out. thanks

Both my MK8s have done that... they never seem to loose any coolant, but it is disconcerting...

I'd say keep your eye on the level and see what happens...

:D -J

Mine does it as well,think it has something to do with the heater,when i use it i can smell it,but if i dont i can not smell it.

I got a 95 with about 127k on it when i shut it off last night i smelled antifreeze but did not think anything of it since i was parked next to my friends taurus, but today i went to the city and when i parked i could smell it so i opened the hood and the colant level was good and i did not see anything driping onto the ground, but could smell it still, that is about all i have looked into it so far when i got home i did not smell anything, so i though i would post to see if anybody had any ideas of where i could start to figure this out. thanks
If you smelled it outside, you might check the weep hole in the bottom of the water pump input shaft. How many miles on the pump? If 127K, then it is time to remove and replace.

I am not sure if the waterpump has ever been replaced since i am the second owner of the car i bought it with 100k on it, but that is something that i will definitely have to check into. but now that i think about it i belive the only time that i smelled it was when i had the heat on.

Back