car "putters" on acceleration?

Mike P

c:enter
Staff member
Paid Member
I just started having a problem with the car puttering from stopped to going about 2nd gear or so. Its almost like the gas is bad or the filter is clogged. Where is the filter located? Or could it be a bad tank of gas? I threw some of that cleaner stuff in the gas tank, nothing has changed

Last edited:
Filter is in the front passenger wheel well behind the plastic wheel thing towards the rear.

Is the problem only in first?

no check engine and yea it seems to be only first, I start clean, then it putters maybe more 2nd than 1st then goes clean again

I'd check the plug boots.....if it was fuel related it would do it through all the gears.

Do the fuel injector trick and find out which cylinder is "puttering".

That sounds very simular to the trouble I had with my 97 MK8, mine felt like a tranny problem, like I was running over the wake up strips on the side of the highway, turned out to be a bad coil, had to wait for the check engine light to get the code for the right one, 6 months later another went bad but nothing since, 2-3 yrs

so when I said it first it had no merit :p? hahahaha
Im sorry didnt mean it like that, of course I was checking that out too! and yes I got a check engine light but I don't know if its related to the cat issue

btw, I checked the coils, are they supposed to be "loose" fitting? under the cover, after I take it off? I imagined they would just clip on like normal spark plug wires but they just seem to sit there.

AH_HA! I swapped out the old coil packs from the old engine and VOILA! it was that! Thanks max and J and everyone else who helped. I really didn't wanna change the fuel filter, lol.

Lol, gratz!

Didn't I make a comment in here about swapping in all the GOOD PARTS from your old engine to the used one you got??

This is exactly why!

Back