Can you tell if an HID Bulb is new or used?

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
Some ass clown on eBay who can't spell said he can tell from a photo that an HID bulb is used and if I sell it as new he will start ****.
I have one of the bulbs up on eBay that Fred just purchased last month at that auto parts warehouse closing here in NJ.
I asked Fred and he said he was told they were new, so I am not sure why they would keep used bulbs They were sitting on a shelf for who knows how many years not on a box, so they were a bit dusty. He plugged them in and tested them and they all lit up bright.
I have a new my slef in box one and the one I have does look cleaner to me.

I don't want to misrepresent something. What do people think?

Here is the listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=170302843774

So I pulled the listing last night because I don't feel comfortable if something is misrepresented. It was tested and it does work.
So instead of a fixed price, I will list it up for bidding tonight in an auction and described how it was found and not list it as new.
If any LOD member wants it before it goes up tonight let me know and we can make a deal.

you cant really tell if one is new specially by the picture you had,you could tell a brand spankin new one though but not many exist!! but you can tell if one has been used very little or alot, by the little bubble inside the capsule, the less its been used that little bubble will be a whitish yellow color, as it gets older it turns more grey to black. but you said in the add it was NEW OLD STOCK but if it really isnt or you are not sure you shouldnt write that. that makes people think, "hey he is saying this is brand new never used."

Steve two years ago before the whole HID fiasco, I was selling the whole NOS inventory from Ford. I went thru at least 100 bulbs and tens of 1st gen HID housings. They were all new in the box. Some of them had a yellow bubble, some had clear, NONE had gray or black, so clearly that's not a good way to tell unless it's black, or looks smoked inside. The cover should be clear though, as well as the plastic seal cover. It looks yellowed in the pic ? Also, the rubber seal will have some white powder type stuff on it if it's truely new.

you cant really tell if one is new specially by the picture you had,you could tell a brand spankin new one though but not many exist!! but you can tell if one has been used very little or alot, by the little bubble inside the capsule, the less its been used that little bubble will be a whitish yellow color, as it gets older it turns more grey to black. but you said in the add it was NEW OLD STOCK but if it really isnt or you are not sure you shouldnt write that. that makes people think, "hey he is saying this is brand new never used."

Thanks for your input, I know you have delt a lot with theses bulbs.

On the listed bulb in question the bubble is dark as you describe as used.
On my brand spankin new one I got years ago from 5 star ford that is still in the box it is clear with a little spot of yellowish gray in it.

I am just going to say how he bought it and due to the color of the center bubble it was most likly used, or something like that. I see the used ones going for around $170+ for just the bulb; this one is complete with back cover, gasket and level. The guy is still a vinegar and water sack for e-mailing me like that assuming I was intentionally tiring to dupe some one. Per Fred these were represent as new from that auto store and neither he nor I are HID bulb experts. They were just sitting open on a shelf colleting dust and what not for who knows how many years.

The other one I already sold on eBay from the lot that Fred picked up was clear like my new one as well, here is that pic:

hid-bulb.jpg

Here is the one that I pulled off e-bay:
hid-bulb2.jpg

Steve two years ago before the whole HID fiasco, I was selling the whole NOS inventory from Ford. I went thru at least 100 bulbs and tens of 1st gen HID housings. They were all new in the box. Some of them had a yellow bubble, some had clear, NONE had gray or black, so clearly that's not a good way to tell unless it's black, or looks smoked inside. The cover should be clear though, as well as the plastic seal cover. It looks yellowed in the pic ? Also, the rubber seal will have some white powder type stuff on it if it's truely new.

Thanks, I will list the bulb in question as used; they still fetch a good price.
My NIB NOS one has the white powder on the seal as you say. However on the ones Fred got the one bulb that was clear in the bubble had no seal but it was real clean That one is sold.
I don't know why an auto warehouse would have used ones, my guess is maybe someone did a swap with a new one and returned a used one or something like that.

Thanks for your input, I know you have delt a lot with theses bulbs.

On the listed bulb in question the bubble is dark as you describe as used.
On my brand spankin new one I got years ago from 5 star ford that is still in the box it is clear with a little spot of yellowish gray in it.

I am just going to say how he bought it and due to the color of the center bubble it was most likly used, or something like that. I see the used ones going for around $170+ for just the bulb; this one is complete with back cover, gasket and level. The guy is still a vinegar and water sack for e-mailing me like that assuming I was intentionally tiring to dupe some one. Per Fred these were represent as new from that auto store and neither he nor I are HID bulb experts. They were just sitting open on a shelf colleting dust and what not for who knows how many years.

The other one I already sold on eBay from the lot that Fred picked up was clear like my new one as well, here is that pic:

hid-bulb.jpg

Here is the one that I pulled off e-bay:
hid-bulb2.jpg

I would say that one looks used just by the yellow halo on the outermost glass.....

yes absolutely the bottom pic is used and quite a bit too, a hallow on the inside of the capsule is a good sign the bulb has many hours used on it.

the one you pulled off ebay looks used for sure.

I have had 2 new and 2 used bulbs before, and the used look darker on the inside like others have stated.

the one you pulled off ebay looks used for sure.

I have had 2 new and 2 used bulbs before, and the used look darker on the inside like others have stated.

Yea, I thoguht it might be used but he was told they were all new. I got to talk to Fred, maybe we will offer it up to an LOD member here for a good price before relisting it as used. That is what he wanted to do but there was too much drama over it and times are tough right now so he can use the cash.
We will be donating a set of front GreenStuff brake pads for Carlisle anyway.

Even used the HIDs are going for over $150, this one is missing the level

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0348972294&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

i used to get alot for used bulbs but lately they havent brought much at all. just over 100 usually, i have one left, we'll see what that does!

i used to get alot for used bulbs but lately they havent brought much at all. just over 100 usually, i have one left, we'll see what that does!

I looked them up, the auctions are getting over $150 and Buy It Now people are asking about $170. If the bulb is clear and it is complete with clean clear back, gasket, level and newr round conector the people are getting more. I sold that clear "new" one for $199.99.

Back