exhaust options 97-98 Mark

Please list the best options of exhaust for the Mark. Pictures/info/links would be very helpful. I'm trying to make my mark sound like it should but not totally obnoxious so i get pulled over everywhere but just enough to add some bark to the marks bite. Thanks beforehand for anyone's advice here.

Well, I installed a dual 2 1/2" mandrel bent system from Dan Rotolante, but I don't know if he makes them anymore. I added some high performance mufflers, and I have an awesome sounding car, that gets looks, but doesn't get me pulled over.

Well, I installed a dual 2 1/2" mandrel bent system from Dan Rotolante, but I don't know if he makes them anymore. I added some high performance mufflers, and I have an awesome sounding car, that gets looks, but doesn't get me pulled over.

I have my lobbed off after the third cat, it gets me pulled over. Don't do this. Any exhaust shop can fab up exhaust for your car.

There is two roads here....you'll have to decide which one you venture down.

If you want some more power, lose the 3rd cat (punch it out or remove completely), lose the resonator (little muffler behind 3rd cat), and install some different mufflers, depending on your level of "bite" you want. If you just want power and a teeny bit of noise, start with the first two and leave the stock muffs.

The other road is the full boat.....headers (because you're stuck with the 1st cat on the driver's side) and any exhaust configuration of your choice, but this will be expensive.

And now for the pictures.........let them load. :eek:
http://www.lincolnsclub.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15018

ARe those cut outs some thing you can buy or should an exhaust shop have those? Would it be necessary to remove everything I saw in your pics J to put the headers on a 98?

Yep, you have to remove the K-member to install headers, NO way around it. :)

The cutouts were purchased from here...

http://www.dmhperformance.com/

You don't need to go all overkill like I did, you can just run a single cut-out right after the 3rd cat, but its going to be more for noise.

Anthrax...to answer your question....I had 2 Magnaflows installed after the 3rd cat (the 3rd cat was punched out/no substrate) and it sounded really clean and good. I'd recommend it, but who am I? :)

PIC768.jpg

Great recommendations. Can you move to San Diego? It would be much more helpful and you would have to answer a lot less questions via the forum....Just kidding. I am learning a lot more with this 98 than my 95. I really want to do it right and I have no intentions of selling this time. Thanks

Nope, lol, I'm moving to Santa Cruz in about 3 weeks though if that helps! :D

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I check my email daily and answer a lot of questions via PM for a lot of members.

Another great example of why I keep telling my friend that sooner than later I am going to smoke his stang. Thanks for the pics they are great to take to the shop. Last time with my 95 2 shops said that it was too complicated to bend the pipe. I finally found one that has some skills.

You can buy them here. These are some of the best ones and don't leak. Time from open to close is 2 1/2sec.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

No a exhaust shop will not have them.

Real good......did you even read post number 8?

Another great example of why I keep telling my friend that sooner than later I am going to smoke his stang. Thanks for the pics they are great to take to the shop. Last time with my 95 2 shops said that it was too complicated to bend the pipe. I finally found one that has some skills.

Show them pictures of my car and tell them to man up, lol. It CAN be done, they're just too lazy. :D

I actually took pics last time and they said somethng to the effect of this is going to cost more than we quoted you. That was an immediate sign that these shops were not for real.

Ya...find another shop. I've been a customer at a shop up in Sacramento for a long time and I got my entire exhaust done for 100 bucks because I got credit for my old cats (they we're worth a lot a while ago). If you find a shop that will do it, it should cost no more than 300 bucks.

If you're not doing a major exhaust overhaul, I'd suggest just getting ONE cutout, and putting it right after the 3rd cat and have them remove the resonator at the same time.

Its funny, we started this thread for IHEART and he/she has never replied back.

Last edited:
Unless I missed it in one of the posts don't some people also simply remove the mufflers leaving the cats and resonators?

Temporarily I am going to remove the 3rd cat and replace with y pipe. Further down I will do the full exhaust. For me this time around it's all about doing this right.

Leo....some people have done that, but a lot of people don't like how raspy/crackly it gets under load.

Wip....Just remember, when you REMOVE that 3rd cat, you're not going to pass the visual in a smog test.

Back