Delrin Rear Suspension Bushings

Just a follow-up....

I'm using generic Acetal, not "Brand Name" Delrin, and I'm using black (at a about a 10% premium), because I don't like the look of white bushings.

The cost of the hard coat anodizing also only adds about 10% to the total cost, and in my mind, is cheap insurance against wear of the aluminum.

Delrin is the matrerial used by Maximum Motorsports and others in the suspension bushings for the IRS Cobra's. I have some in my Cobra, and I'm very happy with the performance.

The aluminum bushings can wear if not treated, as they're under a great deal of stress, I've seen it happen. I wasn't looking to cut costs, but rather to make the best bushings I could. Even using delrin, and hard coat anodizing the sleeves, the bulk of the cost is labor.

I was looking more for if you were going to make kits. 10% is still 10% The hard coat is nice but we done even use it all but a few of our turbine parts. A simple alodoine would do for auto use if you were really worried about.

Im not trying to second guess you I was just offering suggestions to cut costs I do it by habit I guess. I also try to find the most efficient pattern to vacuum my floor and what order I reach into my pockets in the morning to save the most time. On second thought I may have a problem :D

Roadboss what about all of those uncoated polished wheels?

I'm not trying to second guess you I was just offering suggestions to cut costs I do it by habit I guess. I also try to find the most efficient pattern to vacuum my floor and what order I reach into my pockets in the morning to save the most time. On second thought I may have a problem :D

lol.... dude you crack me up.... MAYBE cause i'm the same way... when i spend most of my time figuring out an easier or more efficient way of doing it.... and in all that time.. i end up realizing i would have been done with it already if i had done it the other way lol....

The wheels get pitted too, and with the parts hard coat anodized there will be less of that especially where water has a chance to be trapped as in the bushings. Most of your high quality Aluminum wheels have some type of protectice coating on them to protect them from the elements.

Last edited:
I was looking more for if you were going to make kits. 10% is still 10% The hard coat is nice but we done even use it all but a few of our turbine parts. A simple alodoine would do for auto use if you were really worried about.

While there may be other coatings that would be suitable, others are currently using hardcoat in sleeves made for Cobra IRS bushings, with proven results, so I copied the process. I don't have the knowledge or resources in my engineering department ;) to determine the optimum solution, so I'm following the success of others. I've had commercial delrin bushings in my IRS Cobra for 6+ years, and they are the single best change I've made to the IRS in terms of stability and predictability. Unfortunately, over that period the uncoated aluminum has begun to deteriorate, primarily due to wear, and I will have to replace the bushings and sleeves with those of my own design.

This will be a hand made, low volume product, catering to people who want the best. Overkill? Maybe. I've invested significant time, energy and money to solve problems in my own cars, because no one else did, and have determined what I believe to be the best solution based upon my experiences, and those of others that I respect.

Regards

What kind of price for JUST the control arm bushings? I've already got poly spindle bushings installed.

$325 Shipped (lower 48)

I'm 2-3 weeks away from having 3 full sets available, just got my aluminum shipment, and they sent the wrong diameters :mad:. Then the sleeves have to be sent out for the hardcoat.

Last edited:
Track Results

Track Results

A little history....

I've run my '95 SC with both 3.27 and 3.08 gears, using Nitto, BFG, and now MT DR's. I've made over 300 passes in it since 2000.

In all that time, I've had 3 sub 1.9 second 60's: 1.882, 1.856, and 1.879.

To be fair, in addition to the delrin bushings, I changed out my good Trac-Lok and 3.08's for a Torsen T-2 with 3.55 gears.

Tonight @ Englishtown, I made 5 runs, launching @ ~3.5K (except for the second pass when I tried a 4K launch - NG).

Here are my 60' times:

1.958 (4K launch - too much)

It was an import vs domestic showdown, and there were 8 oil-downs, so it was a long day, and the track wasn't particularily good.

But, even with less than ideal weather and track conditions, I had my 4 best 60' times ever, and they were very consistent.

I'm quite pleased.

My best E.T. was 13.185 (on the brakes) during an elimination round. I'm quite sure that with even decent conditions, I can get into the 12's with my 3,960 lb (weighed today) street car.

I've got the suspension and driveline of my LSC apart, installing the following (among other things):

3600 Stall TC
4" Aluminum Driveshaft
Tru-Trac Diff with 4.10's
Delrin Bushings
Cobra Brakes/Rotors F&R
4 1/2" bolt circle hubs
17x8 '98 Cobra Wheels w/245/45-17 Firestone Wide Ovals
Retaining the Air Ride
Tune with my SCT Pro Racer Package

It should be about a month until I can get times with my LSC.

But, even with less than ideal weather and track conditions, I had my 4 best 60' times ever, and they were very consistent.

THAT's what I've been hoping to hear! :D

Congrats on the best sixty foot times. Sounds like you have that SuperCoupe putting down some good numbers. :)

Hey Dlf. How Much Would You Charge For A Pair Of Those Nifty Caliper Adapter Mounting Plates. Im Personally Not Good At Measuring And Really Dont Have The Time To Make Them Myself. Plus Im Lazy.lol Im Also Interested In Those Delrin Bushings You Got Going On.

Back