Steering problem.

Be2lose

In title only.
This must have come on gradually because I did not realize I have this problem until I drove my wifes car.

The Mark is feeling heavy and I have to return the wheel after a turn.

I have just under 100k on it now and nothing has been done to the front end or power steering that I know of. I do not hear any strange noise while driving or just turning the wheels while stopped.

I think I know the answer is to rebuild the front but would like any imput.

You may want the alignment checked, but I concur with Jamie on the steering rack.

Thanks, I'll have the alignment checked monday. I just had it done (with new tires) at the end of Dec. so it's free to check and fix again.

But that is what I was thinking.

Wait!
OK, Wild thought these new tires grip better than any I've ever driven on, Wet or Dry! Could that cause a heavy feeling and require help back to center?

as I think about it I would think no, But Ive never had such a heavy "sports car" before.

Last edited:
If you watch them do the alignment, you'll get a clue. The 'ballpark' alignment is a BIG FIELD. There are 'optimum' settings and a big variance on both sides. If the guy is 'lazy', he'll just call it when it gets close. It may not sound like much but it's a big difference in the 'feel' of the car.

Caster has a lot to do with the wheels returning to center.

Ok, He did seem to me like he new what he was doing, but they were very busy. On our cars one should be set before the other camber or caster?

Umm... I forget. :eek:

OK. From the manual...

Adjusting the camber affects caster and toe. Adjusting the caster affects toe. The recommended adjustment sequence is to first set camber, set caster, and then set toe. Prior to resetting toe, camber should always be checked and reset if necessary.

Back