Getting ready to convert HIDs

34HIDlowbeamcloseup-1.jpg

Actually I prefer 8000K but 5000K is supposed to produce the most usable light. 8000K is bluer.

Last edited:
Actually I prefer 8000K but 6000K is supposed to produce the most usable light. 8000K is bluer.

I didn't want to go real blue so that's why I was thinking 6000k. Someone on here told me to get 9006 bulbs when I convert can anyone confirm that. Just want to make sure before I order.

really depends on what you want i have 10k for low beams and 8k for my high beams i have a set of 6ks i might go back to but have not decided i tell you as far as visibility the 3500k bulbs are the best by far. i have them in my wife's car lucky for her, her car is gold with mine being silver she keeps telling me that it would look stupid so i have stayed with what i have. but they light everything yellow. kinda like wearing yellow shooting glasses.

If you want good visibility then I would stick in the range of natural sunlight (see below). I don’t get the high temp blue and purple hue on head lights. It is more for the ricer effect then visibility and IMHO it is played out.

In the morning and at sunset, natural sunlight is in the 2,500 - 3000 degree K range and at high noon, normal sunlight is very near 6,000 degrees K

I had a friend talk me into 8k's. They are alittle to blue for me, but not enough to change them. If I was to change them I would go with 6k.

If you want good visibility then I would stick in the range of natural sunlight (see below). I don’t get the high temp blue and purple hue on head lights. It is more for the ricer effect then visibility and IMHO it is played out.

In the morning and at sunset, natural sunlight is in the 2,500 - 3000 degree K range and at high noon, normal sunlight is very near 6,000 degrees K

Blue is the color that humans can see the best at night...though I'm not sure if anybody plans it that way...

Ok so I have a 98 base and I tried the sand and buff method to help out the headlight's because it worked with my gen 1 and it was a huge mistake. Looks horribly foggy but worked great on my gen 1. Does anyone think the HID's would make enough difference to invest in or would I be better off fixing the headlights?

Ok so I have a 98 base and I tried the sand and buff method to help out the headlight's because it worked with my gen 1 and it was a huge mistake. Looks horribly foggy but worked great on my gen 1. Does anyone think the HID's would make enough difference to invest in or would I be better off fixing the headlights?

Describe your sanding procedure.

Pick up some Meguiar's PlastX and follow directions. To make it easier, I used my electric (variable speed) drill with a buffing pad and the PlastX. Go SLOW with the drill rotation, you don't want to burn the plastic. Then buff (after lense is dry) with a clean pad and the drill...higher speed, but not much pressure.

I cleaned it, then wet sanded with 800 grit, 1500 and then 2000. Then I remember someone recommended a 3 step plastic stuff from ebay which I used again. I did the process of applying the stuff twice and also used car swirl protectant just to see if that will help.

I guess I will try the plasticx thing because I drive with my brights on right now and no one even notices.

Back