New guy with questions; engine differences from 93 thru 98?

Driver

Registered
I'm a bit more familiar with the 93-96 engine, as a friend of mine spent many an evening cussing about his intake manifold and its many moving parts. :p

Do the 97-98 intakes have anything similar, or are they more akin to the Cobra manifolds? Albeit with less internal volume and different runner lengths.

Do the Cobra manifolds swap directly to the 97/98? Swap with modifications to 93-96?

Was the 4R70W improved at all?
Differences that I'm missing?
RWHP in stock form?

I've currently got myself a 1991 XR7 that I've prepped for track use. Zero interior, cage, TKO trans, a very basic and fun car. I've decided that this would be it's last season (had it for 7-8 years), and it will be replaced my an FN10... I just need to pick the perfect one. I love the platform, and the Mark VIII's have the drag coefficient of my dreams. :)

Many thanks in advance.
Eric G.

Last edited:
Otherwise there were more benefits to be gained (dollar cost effective) by gear changes, Chip & Tune, and suspension mods.

True. Trouble is, I've already got:
-Koni's
-Springs
-Cobra hub and brake swap parts
-drive shaft
-Multiple pumpkins ranging from 3:08 to 4:30
-Good contacts at Lasota Racing tech

So... I've kinda got that stuff covered. ;)

To be truthfull, I'm not so much interested in adding power as I am adding simplicity, thus my question about the 97/98's. I'd liketo avoid butterfly's in my runners if at all possible. :)

Any links to engine info or tear-down photos?

Many thanks again.
Eric G.

Do the 97-98 intakes have anything similar, or are they more akin to the Cobra manifolds?

Do the Cobra manifolds swap directly to the 97/98? Swap with modifications to 93-96?

Was the 4R70W improved at all?

To be truthfull, I'm not so much interested in adding power as I am adding simplicity, thus my question about the 97/98's. I'd liketo avoid butterfly's in my runners if at all possible. :)

Eric,

I would compare the the Gen 2 intakes to the 99 Cobra intake vs. the 96-98 Cobra. For what its worth, depending on which model you buy Gen 1/2, you may be better off keeping the 93-96 intake set-up the way it is. The Gen 2/Cobra intake don't necessarly flow as well as the Gen 1 intake. It sounds like you're using it for strictly racing, so the hastle of the EGR Tube wouldn't be an issue, so the next issue would be fit under the hood, throttle cable, and just removing the IMRC butterflies/shaft eccentially "deleting" the IMRC's. Oh, you'd have to modify the fuel rail/lines as well. The modifications to either a 93-96/97-98 are exactly the same, you'd have to modify a LOT. So, in all honesty, the 10-15 RWHP you'd gain and simplicity you'd have wouldn't be worth swapping from a Gen 1.

As far as the trans....the 98's were the best year, any others you'll be looking at rebuilding/upgrading.

So in taking score of the generations....

-93: Drive shaft
-93/96: Better intake manifold, simpler car, cheaper.
-97/98: Slightly more HP out of the box, better transmission, better valve springs (per TCCoA).

Kind of a tough choice, transmissions are expensive and valve springs are burried deep. Plus a younger car is less likely to have the rust that is forcing my current track car to retire.

What shares the bellhousing pattern with these engines? I know some 5.0s and early Modulars are compatible, would the TKO on my 91 Cougar bolt up to any of the Mark 8 blocks?

Many thanks again, I'll be looking for that book.

The 97/98 have COP, and i think the OBDII starts on the 96.
In 97 and 98 i think only the LSC had a bit higher HP rating.

And only the '98 has the better tranny.

Not 100% correct.

96 Received a deeper transmission pan and an improved valvebody.
97 Had another valve body improvement
98 Had the complete upgrade that makes them reliable for 200k miles +

The valve springs isn't necessarily an issue except on the 95's according to some people that have dealt with the springs failing on several 95 and others.

If I was in your boat, I'd buy a Gen 1 with a bad engine, slap in a 97-98 with low miles and run all the Gen 1 stuff including the intake. While you have it out, throw some headers and exhaust and then slap in some gears and be off! You can find good low mile engines for under 800 bucks so add all that up and you're gonna be in the same ball park as a stock Gen 2.

Back