"Door ajar" problem

dfoster

Registered
just purchased a 99 continental w/123K miles. the dome light comes on when I exit the vehicle and the door ajar lights stays on all the time. didn't get a owners manual with the car so I don't have a fuse diagram. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Spray some WD-40 into the door latch mechanism in the door itself. This will typically make the message go away for quite some time. If it reoccurs, simply spray some more WD-40 on the mechanism.

You may need to know that a "liberal" amount of WD40 may be necessary and a day of exercising the door may be required. After it starts working again, spray in some silicone spray to keep it clean.

hey i need help!

hey i need help!

darn, I always want to be the first to answer this post, lol
hey i need help with my air ride from someone, what are the most common problems the like a 1996 mark viii air ride, the compressor kicks in for like two seconds then just makes little quiet noises and the front is just sittin on the ground..HELP!

hey i need help with my air ride from someone, what are the most common problems the like a 1996 mark viii air ride, the compressor kicks in for like two seconds then just makes little quiet noises and the front is just sittin on the ground..HELP!

Hi Jake. Welcome.

Check out the website Driller posted above. It's great for troubleshooting. At first glance, it sounds like you might have a compressor or wire contact problem.

Start a new post in the Suspension section, you'll get more direct responses about your problem, a lot of us have had some of the same troubles.

For dfoster's door latch problem, make sure that you spray the latches on both doors.

I spent an hour cleaning and spraying the driver's door latch, only to find out that one spray on the other door fixed it.:D

Instead of opening and shutting the door, can't you just manually depress the switch??

Haha, awesome!

The switch is in the latch, not the door jamb. You can work it with a screwdriver though, instead of closing the door.

I hope you guys are laughing with me instead of at me about my door.:D

Remember, the Gen 1 Mark VIII doesn't tell you what door it is. With my car it makes sense now though, the driver's door switch gets more excersise.

Welcome defoster!
I'm going to move this to the Continental section.

Last edited:
Back