Another new guy to LOD

Gau8mechanic

Registered
How's it going! New here, but not to the Mark VIII. I had a '93 Tricoat Pearl white back in the day. Minor mods and such. Biggest mod was the Cobra headers worked to fit and a full exhaust with X-pipe, two cats and Magnaflows out back. Doubt I plan to do anything to my new ride, '97 LSC in Toreador Red. Seems bone stock except for a K&N drop-in filter. Sunroof, JBL Premium sound (works half-assed) with 10-disc in the trunk, analog phone. No garage remote built in. 99K on the ticker! I'll post a pic later. I'm certain you all have seen one more than once, but this one is mine.

Recently retired from the Air Force of 20 years plus with a disability rating. Still doesn't keep me from turning wrenches, so I'm getting formally educated at ATI in Vegas for Automotive Technician. Love every minute I'm in class. Been in Vegas off and on for more than 17 years of my life. Once I get this education out of the way and get my feet in the proverbial door of the automotive trade here, my wife and I would like to move to Tennessee. Home for her. I'm sick of the desert so I'd love the change of lifestyle and weather and all going there.

I'm registered on markviii.org but it's nearly dead over there. Saw more activity over here so I decided I'd move in here too and see how things go. Gonna do some reading here to see what I can do to fix some small issues I'm having with the LSC. Typical problems apparently. Driver HID just doing the low glow. Barely can tell it's ignited. Not sure if it's the bulb or ballast. It seems there is only one ballast to control both lights? Next, tail neon flickers on for half a second and then off completely if I either turn on the lights or apply the brakes. Seems like the ballast. Haven't troubleshot it yet. Cruise control won't turn on. Got some guidance from a member on the other site that said to look at the switch on the right front wheel first. Mirror switch needs replaced and the gas door release button assembly needs replaced. I think I have a source for those parts, just don't have the money right at the moment. Biggest issue though is it fails smog for P0411 Secondary Air Injection fail. I'm looking at the control valve right in front of the crank pulley because there was excess carbon fouling on the t-fitting below the valve around the flare nut. I tried to tighten it since there was some movement in the line and it wouldn't budge. So I removed the valve and found that the flare nut and the valve were damaged from cross threading. So I need to source those parts as well since they're no longer made by FLM. I NEED to get that fixed ASAP since I live in a smog regulated county and can't get tags until I pass.

Anyhoo, looking forward to meeting some of you through discussion here or whatever. It would be neat if there was a club or chapter in this area that meets up once in awhile.

Thanks for reading
Jason

When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?

Back