Short How-To: Have Beautifully painted valvecovers

KyleH

Registered
Getting the valve covers off a Gen II isn't exactly the easiest job but I really like engine dressup and the huge valve covers on our engines look great painted. I just sold my Mark VIII and my valve covers looked as nice as the day I painted them however I DIDNT powder coat them and I DIDNT even use high heat paint.

One day I was in advanced auto and they had 4 or so small cans of Duplicolor metallic blue automotive touch up paint on the clearance rack at 75% off brining them to $1 each. I figured what the hey I like that color and bought them. They sat around a bit till I decided I would paint my valve covers and polish my COP covers.

To paint the valve covers I cleaned them really thoroughly then roughed up the surface of the paint with I think 300 or 500 grit. I applied a few layers of paint and then a high temp clear coat also from a spray can.

To polish the COP covers I sued a super extremely oh god don't ever touch it Aircraft paint stripper in a blue can. I then wet sanded with green scotch bright (like 320 grit paper) -> 500 -> 1000 -> 1200 then polished using a drill and buffing wheel with I think white polishing compound. I finished it by polishing with mother's aluminum polish in the little red container. This was one of my earlier polishing jobs and i could probably do better knowing what i know now.

All in all painting them cost me a bit of time and about $10. Great money to happiness ratio with this one. If you ahve a gen II jack the motor up to get the valve cover off. Just do it.

Sorry theyre a bit dusty, these are the only pics I think I took. Also sorry for the size this board doesnt have a timg thumbnailing option that I know of.

2v0forn.jpg

r0v0pz.jpg

2qdzg3b.jpg

21jt0u8.jpg

why wouldnt you have taken all the bolt grommets out and take the oil fill cap off if you went through the headache of removing the covers themselves????? you do know that all those metal washers and rubber bolt grommets pop right out of the holes right? the color looks cool, but painting the grommets and oil cap doesnt look good, looks like you rushed it. see what i am talking about, look at the bolt grommets when i powdercoated these.

valvecovers070.jpg

valvecovers003-1.jpg

Jamie, I have known you on these forums for several years. I have bought many parts from you and Peter. But the time has come for me to make a comment. Over the last several weeks I have read your threads on other members posts, including mine, and feel it is time when someone tells you to SHUT UP! If you dont have something good to say, keep it to yourself. Just because you do things one way, that doesnt mean it is the "only way". I cant say that you "cost me money" on a for sale ad, but it didnt make anything any easier either. I have seen you do the same thing to other members ads. Believe this, The world doesnt revolve around you. Generally you input is welcome and informed but, realize there are others out there who have different ideas than yours.
This will be my last post on this forum.

lol. he's a perfectionist he can't help himself, my wife gets annoyed cause I correct everything too

Sorry theyre a bit dusty, these are the only pics I think I took. Also sorry for the size this board doesnt have a timg thumbnailing option that I know of.
no it doesn't, they are against hacks here, lol. But... you can use this free program called irfanview.com and resize in seconds, try it

i knew you wouldnt take offense to what i said kyle, we know each other, but some people just cant handle a few opinions. thats fine, just ban me if i cant make everyone happy!

i knew you wouldnt take offense to what i said kyle, we know each other, but some people just cant handle a few opinions. thats fine, just ban me if i cant make everyone happy!

haha if it wasnt for Sharon I woulda been banned a long time ago

don't make me.... :rolleyes: (I am obviously kidding)

Last edited:
Jamie, I have known you on these forums for several years. I have bought many parts from you and Peter. But the time has come for me to make a comment. Over the last several weeks I have read your threads on other members posts, including mine, and feel it is time when someone tells you to SHUT UP! If you dont have something good to say, keep it to yourself. Just because you do things one way, that doesnt mean it is the "only way". I cant say that you "cost me money" on a for sale ad, but it didnt make anything any easier either. I have seen you do the same thing to other members ads. Believe this, The world doesnt revolve around you. Generally you input is welcome and informed but, realize there are others out there who have different ideas than yours.
This will be my last post on this forum.

lol :fart

and stick around man, no reason for you to leave. Its a public forum, everyone is entitled to their views and opinions. We are already small in numbers as it is...dont let one person make you want to leave.

Im sure there is a way to block someones postings so you wont even know they are on the board...at least on most forums there are. ;)

Last edited:
chad dont post those, i did those and no one likes my posts or pictures or me!!! they wont like you either if you associate with me.

Back