My vibration saga

Meister

Registered
Ok, '95 Mark w/ 109k. I purchased my Mark w/ 88k from an older friend. Then started getting a vibration, that drove me nuts - and have been working on it since.

Car has brand new Michellin's - with your foot off the gas it is like it is on glass.

I had it looked at by a driveline shop and J donated some of his time on a Saturday and took a look at the car with me (thanx again man!)

I swapped in a '93 shaft, which made no change. Had that driveshaft balanced and the U-joints replaced - very little change, almost none.

It would vibrate with my foot on the gas, whether it was flat groung, downhill, uphill - anytime.

So, I had it down for a month or two...replaced rear wheel bearings (and air bags and shocks while I was back there) - transmission mount and the tailshaft bushing (with the BOC forced lube mod kit).

I was pleasantly surprised to find approx 90% of the vibes gone. Which I attribute to the tailshaft bushing (the old one looked plenty worn). It is great on flat groud, going downhill, but I get an ever-so-slight vibe going uphill with an obvious load on the motor.

When J and I looked over the car, we found that the driverside motor mount was gone (original) - I have the SCP solid mounts in my garage, which I plan on installing.

So, on to my question: Should I expect the motor mounts to have a large impact on this vibration, or should I look into the Dynotech D-shaft from SCP, and sell my rebuild '93 unit?

Thoughts?

Thanx guys!

It won't hurt if it is a drive train vibration. Sounds like you have almost as much fun as I had with my 95 chasing vibrations..... I also found the tail shaft bearing was junk on mine. The problem is new ones were also junk, so sloppy it was horrible! I custom machined one on a lathe that fit perfect! The only vibrations that I have now that are of any significance if some tire vibs due to an old balance.

Ok honestly, you did almost everything there is to do to "cure" the vibration.

My car with 1/3 the miles on your car still had issues, these cars are just prone to vibes.

Motormounts break fairly frequently on these cars, it may help but i surely doubt it.

So, on to my question: Should I expect the motor mounts to have a large impact on this vibration, or should I look into the Dynotech D-shaft from SCP, and sell my rebuild '93 unit?

When I installed 4.10s, I gambled my '93 one piece shaft would not have vibes. It did. Not terrible, but enough to persuade me to purchase the then available MMx driveshaft. Once installed, I could not believe the difference. It was night and day.

When I first started drag racing the '93, I soon bought a set of Nitto drag radials. They quickly became intolerably unbalanced with frequent burnouts at the track.

I have not noticed any vibrations from defective motormounts. I currently have one side totally shot and the other on it's way out.

So, yes these cars can be vibration free (despite what Max says :p) and they can also have vibrations due to tires.

Well, the tires have less than 5k on them, and the new tires made little difference with the vibes. Being that the new tailhouse bushing made such an improvement leads me to believe that the D-shaft is the main source of the vibes....I guess a new D-shaft is in order....

I would only add that a 4 wheel alignment wouldn't hurt anything.

Yes, I have the new front end sitting in my garage (ball joints/air struts/endlinks/bushings/tie-rods) - and I am waiting to get that done, and then get the alignment done once.

Yes, I have the new front end sitting in my garage (ball joints/air struts/endlinks/bushings/tie-rods) - and I am waiting to get that done, and then get the alignment done once.

Whats ur address and when do you usually leave your garage unattended? ;) jk, i need all those parts tho! haha!

Keven, it would be cheaper to go ahead and BUY the parts than steal 'em as the trip to California would cost too much!!!

Back