Some Weird Problems

TBarton

Registered
I have a 95 with about 128k. I dont know about you guys but my car seems to go throught a couple of alternators. When it went out the first time i bought one from napa with a life time warrenty. Thank god for that cuase now i am on my 4th one and at over $300 a time it was well worth it, i recently put one in about 2 weeks ago it was over charging the batter.

So the other day i was driving and i noticed if i got on the gas pretty hard that the battery light would come on. But as soon as i would let off and just coast it would shut off. I was eating some mcdonalds in my car and then the radio started losing power. But then it went back to normal. So i got on the on ramp to head home when the light came back on and was losing all of the power in the car everything was dimming. There was not enough power for the tranny to even shift. So i finnaly got to the next ramp and got off the road into a parking lot. I turend off the car and when i tried to start it it would not even turn over. So i called a friend with a trailor. When he got there the car started up. So i pulled it onto the trailor shut if off then once again it would not start. Got home and it started and drove off the trailor. It was like if i let it sit for 15 min the battery would go from not being able to turn the car over to starting and running fine. So the next day i went out and tested the battery and it was good and the alternaor was chargin at 14 volts so everything appeared to be ok. So i was going to go out and drive it when i realized that there was antifreeze under it. So i looked and then preasor tested the radiator and sure enought the side seal was leaking so now i have to pull that out and get the seal reaplaced before i can deal with my power problmes. But anyways have any of you guys ever had a problem like this before.

These cars eat reman alternators for snacks.

Try a new (non-reman) OEM from a dealer if you can find one or check out PA Performance. One for a '96-'98 Cobra will work as well.

yeah well it looks like i will be dealing with this **** for a little while since i am running low on money i will probably just put another napa one in.

well the car sat outside of the shop a week before i got it in, when i went out to start it the battery started no problem so idk. i cleaned some grounds i will have to look more into it when i get the radiator fixed

Back