Gen 1 tranny in Gen 2

T man

Registered
so i'm getting a gen 1 tranny for free (that has 40k miles) and want to put it in my 98' mark 8.

I want to rebuild it with new frictions steels bands and put in a hardened intermediate shaft and hi-preformance valve body.

Is there anything else I should look at in the gen 1 trannies to handle about 340rwlb/ft besides a TQ converter and tranny cooler?

Are there any sensors that are different that will not hook up from the Gen 1 tranny to the Gen 2 car?

The accumulators need upgrading. If you are doing this yourself then be sure to remember that "Cleanliness is next to godliness" in tranny rebuilding. You may want to consider getting your parts from Lonnie as he has a few choices for you to make on friction materials, and could also deliver to you a rebuild.

I think it's the '95 and older cases are not worth rebuilding. You're likely not doing yourself any favors throwing that of planned torque at it.

so the cases themselves are different in the 93-95 models :confused:

The case is going to crack trying to handle that much tq?

I'm not sure of the details, I'm just relaying info I was told when I had one built. I have a '95 tranny as a 'spare' I wanted to use as a core but was told it was basically worthless as a core for a 'built' tranny.

Back