A Mark VIII part out party

billcu

Head Moderator
Staff member
Another fun day at Jeremi's:D

Steve and I helped Jeremi take apart a Mark VIII yesterday.

It's a lot more fun taking them apart if you don't have to put them back together.:D

Of course, I have to put some of these parts on my cars now.:)

Thanks again Jeremi for the parts and the fun!

Attachments

• driveway.jpg
    driveway.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 0
  • rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
  • int.jpg
    int.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 0
  • int2.jpg
    int2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
  • glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
Here are a few more.

Attachments

• tank.jpg.JPG
    tank.jpg.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
  • spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
  • jjack.jpg
    jjack.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
  • jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
Poor car. Although from some of the pics, it looks like the previous owner lacked in the care department anyways, so it's probably good to put it out of its misery.

I'm not too fond of the rigging however on the engine removal, but apparently it worked.

The car was actually in pretty good shape. A tree hit just the roof and back window, dooming it.

When the car was stripped, two of us could lift it from the front.:)

Oh yeah, can you post your before photos when you get a chance Jeremi?

Last edited:
What am I missing here ? What rigging ? It would be a lot more weight lifiting the motor/trans combo out of the car than lifitng the emptied body shell over it. No, it didn't just work. It works great, and is about as safe as it needs to be, with people being 4-5 feet away from the car at that time.

I'll dig up those pics. The car was very nice that is until the back window got damaged and the rain and other crap got into it.

Yes we had a great time. It's a good learning experience for when we take our own apart. We didn't break anything ,that was good !!
Great beer, great food and great friends :cool-blue::cool-blue:

When the car was stripped, two of us could lift it from the front.

What am I missing here ? What rigging ? It would be a lot more weight lifiting the motor/trans combo out of the car than lifitng the emptied body shell over it. No, it didn't just work. It works great, and is about as safe as it needs to be, with people being 4-5 feet away from the car at that time.

I'm sure all you say is true. Your combined experience is not being debated. The problem arises when some newbie remembers your method and attempts to repeat the same and the car is not stripped, he uses lighter rigging and/or inferior fasteners along with possibly exceeding the capacity of the hoist with the boom fully extended.

While it may appear no different upon visual inspection to the untrained eye, if one were to use an imported hook, low grade bolts, and/or a low grade chain not approved for overhead lifting, they could be setting one hell of a mouse trap.

The strain on the chain used across the front bumper mounts is just one consideration. At the oblique angle as used, the load is magnified greatly on the chain. As an example, if the safe working load of the chain were 2,000 lbs, the imposed load limit as used could be reduced to 500 lbs or less! Still sounds safe? Remember shock loads may be up to 8 times the actual load. One alternative would be to use a spreader bar setup and keep the chain rigging vertical or at least close to vertical.

The bolts used to fasten the chain is another consideration. I would hope one uses grade 8 fasteners for lifting applications. They have a proof load of 120,000 psi as compared to a cheap grade 2 bolt which may have a proof load as low as 33,000 psi, or only one fourth the capacity. Many people mistakenly think stainless steel fasteners are high grade when in fact they can be rated as low as 40,000 psi or one third the capacity of a grade 8 fastener.

The chain selection is another important factor. Take for example a common 1/4" welded link chain. It may come in grade 30 which has a safe working load of 1,040 lbs whereas it looks identical to grade 40 which is rated for 2,600 lbs. But neither is approved for overhead lifting applications. The lightest approved hoisting chain is 9/32" with a working load limit of 3,500 lbs.

I apologize for sounding like I'm preaching but I just want to make sure safety comes first. Any hoisting should always be approached with caution.

All valid points, but what it comes down to is just don't get underneath it. When you're hoisting anything, just don't get underneath it. Even if you're using the good stuff. And keep in mind that a single 30,000 psi 1/2" bolt can support the entire weight of the car, likely even in shear.

And if you tried lifting the car like that with the motor still attached, you'd run a significant risk of bending the "frame" rails inward. But that obviously didn't matter on this car.

I've used far shakier methods to remove an engine (see pic). And put it back in. That's a cherry picker strapped to a 4 post hoist, lifted all the way up. The hoist was only about 7' tall though. What you don't see is that we had to use a long chain and push the motor out over transom of the boat while we lowered it in, because the cherry picker didn't have quite enough reach.

BTW, that was my friends boat. When I needed to pull a motor, I paid a shop to pluck it out and drop it back in.

Attachments

• IMGP9526.jpg
    IMGP9526.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
the green spray all over the passenger side is evidence that you guys remove A/C lines the same way I do ;)

a red gen 2 with black interior...SWEET.

Nice party gang. Usually I strip them alone with a boom truck to hoist the body, a couple pre-made dollies for the K-member for the motor and trans, and some air tools, and a torch. ;-)

stripping them is much more fun...

1 week and it's over. There are just a few parts left, but the majority is gone.

Here's couple pre part out shots. It was a nice car :D

Back