diagnostic screen and reverse indicators

zsvdkhnorc

Registered
I'm facing a couple of electrical issues with my fiancee's Mark.

Except in cold weather, when the car has not yet warmed up, neither the lighted keypad on the door nor the diagnostic screen on the dash will work. The diagnostic screen will display for a while on cold mornings, but will flicker and eventually go out. Using detailed directions, I have been able to do everything that the screen is supposed to do (reset things after oil changes, for example). It seems to just be the display.

Meanwhile, the reverse lights are not working. It isn't the bulbs: the filiments are intact and there's no voltage at the socket.

I'm hoping one or both of these problems will be familiar to somebody out there before I try to solve this the long way.

Reverse lights is prob the neutral safety switch adjustment on the drivers side of the tranny..... The display is prob dirty or corroded pins in a connector behind/under the display.... pop it out and spray some electrical cleaner in the plug.... WD 40 would prob work too....even tho it is a water dispersant, it should clean the connector.

Thank you. The neutral safety switch makes sense, as the previous owner messed it up, and I've never finished putting it straight.

Any tips on removing the screen? How much of the dash will have to come out?

Any tips on removing the screen? How much of the dash will have to come out?

From the manual for a gen1...

Message Center Switch Module

Removal and Installation

1. Unsnap and remove center finish panel from instrument panel.

2. Disconnect electrical connectors to warning lamps and message center switch module (10D996).

3. Remove four screws retaining message center switch module to center finish panel and remove message center switch module

4. If required, remove miniature bulb (13466) and instrument panel lamp socket (13711) assembly by twisting counterclockwise and pulling out.

5. To install, reverse Removal procedure.

Back