Nitrous install

46callaway

Registered
OK well I got my HSW wet kit in with a 15lb bottle, ready to see what this bone stock 4.6 DOHC is really capable of... I know some of you guys have run nitrous on a Mark VIII, any pics of your bottle mounted, pics of the nitrous/purge switches installed etc?

IMG_0682.jpg

Hey FLM Fan, awesome setup! Are you running a wet or dry kit and how big of a shot are you spraying?

Thanks! It's a wet kit.. you can see the nozzle lower left in the picture.
I'm using a 150 kit.. but it comes on progressively using a time based controller

IMG_0681.jpg

Couple questions:

1. What rpm are you spraying at?
2. Do you have a high flow fuel pump?
3. Do you have a nitrous tune on the car?

Couple questions:

1. What rpm are you spraying at?
2. Do you have a high flow fuel pump?
3. Do you have a nitrous tune on the car?

The window switch keeps the system from spraying before 3000rpm

Yes I have a Walbro 255 LPH pump

Yes.. The car was tuned on the dyno using sniper software.

So how high do you spray, 6000-6500rpm? I also have the Sniper software, I just made a nitrous tune for it, I just put wet 100 shot, I asked Sniper techs they said it retards 1.5 degrees of timing for every 50 shot. What was your A/F with the Sniper Tune on the dyno and did you have to make any further timing/air fuel adjustments after putting it on the dyno or was the base Sniper nitrous tune pretty good?

So how high do you spray, 6000-6500rpm? I also have the Sniper software, I just made a nitrous tune for it, I just put wet 100 shot, I asked Sniper techs they said it retards 1.5 degrees of timing for every 50 shot. What was your A/F with the Sniper Tune on the dyno and did you have to make any further timing/air fuel adjustments after putting it on the dyno or was the base Sniper nitrous tune pretty good?

Spray to 6000rpm... then shift. I'll have the shop print out the dyno sheets tomorrow when I'm there. The tune was custom from the start. My guys had Sniper make changes to their software twice. There were a couple of errors that were causing problems.

what kind of tuning are you guys doing for a wet kit? Pulling timing? Thats all that should be needed. A wet kit should be tuned through the jetting.

FLM, GORGEOUS set up!

what kind of tuning are you guys doing for a wet kit? Pulling timing? Thats all that should be needed. A wet kit should be tuned through the jetting.

FLM, GORGEOUS set up!

Thanks!.. Actually, I had it dyno tuned to take full advantage of the mods that had been made to the car. Those included the manifold, throttle body, CAI, exhaust and gears. I also had the shifts firmed up.. and set to shift at 6000rpm at full throttle. It's truely "point and shoot" now.

The A/F we ended up with was 11.9 - 12.2 with the spray.. I wanted a very conservative setup since it's got the potential of up to a 150 shot.

how is your tune set up? Do you have a chip or programmer?

When I did mine (both for the 100 and the 125/150 jet sets) I had my car tuned just staight NA. My AFRs avg out to 13.2 or something like that. Then the nitrous tuning was done on the dyno as well. I pulled my timing by some crazy number like 10 degrees and started with the manufacturers suggested jetting for a 100 shot. The based of the compression signs on the spark plugs I dialed in the correct size fuel jet for the nitrous. When I found the set of jets that best suited my car, I started bringing the timing back up and continued to inspect the plugs for the tell tales. When all was said and done, my car was tuned to rip NA, then I had a designated set of jets for 100,125, and 150 shots of juice with the propper amount of timing retards calculated for each. The tune itself is the same with the exception of those timing changes. Its where I kind of wish I had a chip with a switch. Instead I have to reflash my ecu each time I got from NA to N2O.

Does this sound like how you went about it? If not, I'd love to hear how yours was done. I'm well aware of there being many ways to skin a cat and like knowing more than just one way :)

Sully..
I don't have either. My tuner uploaded the tune from his laptop.
The car was tuned for nitrous.. while on the nitrous. We went through 2 bottles on the dyno.
I figure we left a little horsepower on the table on the NA side doing it that way.. maybe 10 or so.. but I don't get on it much on the street anyway.

how is your tune set up? Do you have a chip or programmer?

When I did mine (both for the 100 and the 125/150 jet sets) I had my car tuned just staight NA. My AFRs avg out to 13.2 or something like that. Then the nitrous tuning was done on the dyno as well. I pulled my timing by some crazy number like 10 degrees and started with the manufacturers suggested jetting for a 100 shot. The based of the compression signs on the spark plugs I dialed in the correct size fuel jet for the nitrous. When I found the set of jets that best suited my car, I started bringing the timing back up and continued to inspect the plugs for the tell tales. When all was said and done, my car was tuned to rip NA, then I had a designated set of jets for 100,125, and 150 shots of juice with the propper amount of timing retards calculated for each. The tune itself is the same with the exception of those timing changes. Its where I kind of wish I had a chip with a switch. Instead I have to reflash my ecu each time I got from NA to N2O.

Does this sound like how you went about it? If not, I'd love to hear how yours was done. I'm well aware of there being many ways to skin a cat and like knowing more than just one way :)

Sully..
I don't have either. My tuner uploaded the tune from his laptop.
The car was tuned for nitrous.. while on the nitrous. We went through 2 bottles on the dyno.
I figure we left a little horsepower on the table on the NA side doing it that way.. maybe 10 or so.. but I don't get on it much on the street anyway.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH Makes more sense to me now. Sounds like a good way to do it if your only real power goal is for the track. I think that works out even better in some aspects. You dont have to buy the chip/programmer for example.

Back