Stripped Lug Nut

black97lsc

Registered
Anyone have any good ideas on removing a stripped lug nut?
Its not completely stripped, I stopped before it was too late. I guess.
Its the original stock chrome directionals and stock lugnuts. I had some front end service done about 2 months ago and they must have torqued the heck out of it as I could not get any lug nut off even with my impact gun. I was able to loosen 3 with the spare tire jack's wrench. And that was only by standing on it. Needless to say, I'm pissed.

You may as well finish stripping it with an impact wrench and prepare to install a new wheel stud.

I had the same thing, it was stripped pretty good, the back of the lug bolt would spin around too. I took it to my buddy's house and we welded it to the back of the hub so we could get the lug nut off and then replaced the stud.

I had some front end service done about 2 months ago and they must have torqued the heck out of it as I could not get any lug nut off even with my impact gun.

Why do the feel they have to get them so thight? I'm always pissed the next time I have to remove the lug nuts.

I think you should make them fix it!!!

Well, good news. I went back to the shop that did the work and they got it off. He had a long socket with extra slots. I believe its a 12 point socket? I left enough meat on it.
Loosened it right off. Now I need new lug nuts as they are all rounding.

Yeah, the threads seem fine. The lug nut was starting to strip (round). It was put on straight but just over tightened. Now I'm worried about the life of my rotors, but they are the cross-drilled ones so I hope they are good.

I do.... unless it's getting new tires, noone else touches the wheels. Even then the tire techs have me looking over their shoulders. Pisses 'em off, but they do it right!

I got all the passenger side front lug nuts off then move to the driver side front. Those are just as tight!! I bought a deep well socket to pull those lug nuts off and with some effort got them all loose without stripping. hahaha

Seriously......wtf? Well, I got my summer wheels on and now if we can only have 2 straight days with no rain I might wash the Mark!

Lord knows Mark VIII's have an easy enough time warping rotors on their own! As a flat-rate tech, I would starve to death if I had to torque every wheel I put on with a torquewrench, but they invented this great item for an impact called a TORQUE-STICK. It's Amazing how many people I work with have run a lugnut down all the way with a 1/2 drive impact/socket by itself, then complained the next time when the studs snapped.

Back